new end on ultra lite rod

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
fishinator
Petty Officer

new end on ultra lite rod

Post by fishinator » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:20 pm

So here's the deal..I got a Quantam Ultra Lite for my birthday a few weeks ago. I took it out one time and caught no fish. So the second time I was a going to go out on a very unsuccessful camping/fishing trip to Sprague. I got the boat anchored and started to rig it up and noticed the tip was broken off. Sad story I know, I cried too. j/k My question I have is I want to know if cutting the rod right below the next eyelet down and replacing it with a new eyelet will hurt the integrity of the rod. Is it worth messing with? By the way, the rod is an Ultra Lite, 6'6" 2-6lb line weight, lure weight 1/64-1/8. I'm not sure if that matters but there you go. Any help is appreciated.

Also, my wife felt for me so we replace it with an almost identical rod but only 5'6" so I would quit sobbing like a little girl

lumpdog005
Petty Officer

RE:new end on ultra lite rod

Post by lumpdog005 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:41 pm

last year my UL uglystick tip was snapped off in trunk lid by me! I would leave it as long as possible and just put a new tip. Good 2nd or backup rod!

Bryne Chum
Petty Officer

Re: new end on ultra lite rod

Post by Bryne Chum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:33 pm

I have lost a tip or 2. Big 5 has replacment tips for a few bucks. I just take some dikes and snip it off. I then like to take a lighter, and just melt the frays, sand any weirdness out, and glue on the new tip. Gorilla glue works just fine. I always keep a few extra tips and glue in my takle bag

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:51 pm

If the tip guide is broken you don't want to be cutting the blank. Heat the tip to melt the glue, pull off the tip guide, glue on a new tip guide. If the rod blank tip is broken, well that's a no brainer, glue on a new tip guide. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:57 pm

quote;
My question I have is I want to know if cutting the rod right below the next eyelet down and replacing it with a new eyelet will hurt the integrity of the rod.

Yes, it'll change the 'action' of the rod as it won't have the light action tip. Which will change the feel, and the casting ability of the rod, and the lighter lures will be harder to cast. Depending of course on how much tip was broke off.

quote;
Is it worth messing with?

Yes, if just an inch was broke off, the rod is still quite useful for the same purpose. If it's broke down close to the second guide the rod can still be used, but the action will be heavier, and the rod won't be as useful as an ultralite anymore. Been there, done that.
Tom.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:27 pm

You don't want to cut the rod...no need to. Just put a new tip on. Now if you mean the rod is damaged and you can't put an eye on the tip. Then carefully cut it at the first possible spot with no damage. Maybe if you are still unsure then post a picture of what you have work with.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Acually this thread is 2 1/2 years old. But the info is still good for anyone that breaks a tip guide or rod tip in the future.
Tom.

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”