Carolina rig issues

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
mizm05
Commander

Carolina rig issues

Post by mizm05 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:42 am

I've pretty much switched over to dropshot exclusively, but sometimes when things are slow I'll switch up my presentation and try the Carolina rig. Is this rig not meant for casting? I'm using a bead between my sinker and swivel, and it never seems to fail...every couple of casts, my leader ends up twisted around the main line above it. I usually use 1/2 ounce so I can cast a good distance. Of course while it's flying through the air, the sinker is going to be ahead of the leader, which is probably why it gets tangled. Which leads me back to my original question...is the Carolina rig not meant for casting?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Carolina rig issues

Post by Amx » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:07 am

That happens.

Just make sure you make a good easy lob cast, no snap casts at all. Slow, easy, and a good side or over head loop/circle.

I also feather the line just before the weight hits the water. That will straighten the main line somewhat, and make the worm and hook fly out further, seems to keep the winding around to a minimum.
Tom.

Interests: living

ShipwreckedDude
Petty Officer

Re: Carolina rig issues

Post by ShipwreckedDude » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Make sure that your leader is higher in test weight than your main line. So if your runnin 10 pound test main use a 15 to 20 pound leader. That should do the trick.

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”