changing handle from one rod to another

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

changing handle from one rod to another

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:31 pm

One broken rod has good handle, one good rod with broken handle. Exactly the same handles, and rod/blank diameter. How would a person take the 2 handles off and glue the good handle onto the good rod?
Tom.

Interests: living

fear_no_fish
Captain

RE:changing handle from one rod to another

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:11 pm

I would go find a local rod shop were they make custom rods, it probably will only cost 10 or so to have the handles changes. Its at least worth it to go take a look
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 pm

The handles are glued on.....You will be better off just getting a new handle and putting it on the rod that needs one....or you might be able to cut off the good handle and the bad part of the one and graft them together.....But not such a great idea.....Find a rod maker and take the rods to them and see what they say.....Good luck! try... http://www.gregscustomrods.com/
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

medic1
Petty Officer

Post by medic1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:00 pm

+1 for finding a rod builder. Collector is right. The handles are glued on. I can appreciate trying to save money but it is going to be really hard to remove the handles with out damaging them.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:31 pm

As has been previously mentioned, the grips and reel seat should be glued with some type of flexible adhesive that will make salvaging the handle very difficult. Also, as most rods have a taper all the way to the butt, you can't remove or install the grip(s) in one piece without removing the guides. The exception being the installation of foam grips which have a bit of stretch in them.

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”