Rod Repairing/Building

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
B-Hall
Petty Officer

Rod Repairing/Building

Post by B-Hall » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Hey everyone I recently found an old 8' or 7' Lamiglas casting rod in my old fishing gear. When I asked my father about it he told me it had been broken in the middle and he top eye had fell off. It was a homemade rod given to my grandfather. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how to repair a break like this. If it's even possible, I will post pictures below.

This is the break.

http://exposureroom.com/members/bhall/7 ... 8dc32ee44/

This is the eye break.

http://exposureroom.com/members/bhall/e ... d1d475e8a/
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

RE:Rod Repairing/Building

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:26 pm

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:30 am

gregs is by far one of the best in teh state IMHO.

http://www.gregscustomrods.com/

He is located in lake stevens, not sure where you are located though. If that is to far I have heard good things about Don's Custom Rods...253-232-9441

I hope that helps

B-Hall
Petty Officer

Post by B-Hall » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks guys! I might call those two custom rod guys first just because the rod building sounds complicated.

B-Hall
Petty Officer

Post by B-Hall » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks guys! I might call those two custom rod guys first just because the rod building sounds complicated.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:41 pm

scott080379 wrote:gregs is by far one of the best in teh state IMHO.

He is located in lake stevens, not sure where you are located though. If that is to far I have heard good things about Don's Custom Rods...253-232-9441

I hope that helps

I have been to Don's and was satisfied with his work.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:44 am

scott080379 wrote:gregs is by far one of the best in teh state IMHO.

I hope that helps
Gregs is one of the best custom rod building shops around the state....They will even let you do it your self.....They give excellent classes on rod building. You might try that also. They sell all the parts needed for an excellent build. That break you have in the rod isn't going to be easy to fix....You might think about building a new one yourself. Gregs can show you rods to build that are just as nice as the Lamiglass. Good luck to you, Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

jerrysgonefishing
Petty Officer

Post by jerrysgonefishing » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 am

Just a thought. If money is an issue there is a simple fix that does change the action of the rod some (makes it stiffer 3 or 4 inches each side of the splice) but not that much. I have repaired several rods this way. Measure the inside diamiter of the rod at the break. Then get a piece of aluminum rod or a drill bit that will bridge the break and extend 2 1/2 to 3 inches into each piece of the broken rod. You will want a snug fit but some room for epoxy glue. Use fast cure (I like 5 minute epoxy) maybe use slower your first time you fix a break. Mix a good amount of epoxy and pour it into each piece of the pole turning the pole to get good internal coverage. Incert the metal rod and bring the two pole pieces together and brace or hold them in good alignment untill the epoxy has set up. The next step is to wrap the repair with heavy eye wrapping thread. The last step is to mix more epoxy and coat the wrapping. Hold the pole horzontial and keep turning until the epoxy has set up completely. This will keep the epoxy from sagging all to one side. Go fishing and have fun. THis has been a very durable fix for me. Good luck.

medic1
Petty Officer

Post by medic1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:05 pm

To continue what Jerry said, put an extra guide where you make the splice. It will hide the splice

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”