San Juans Help

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kodacachers
Lieutenant

San Juans Help

Post by kodacachers » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:28 pm

I'm spending the day on James Island, near Decatur and Blakely. We plan to crab and fish for pinks and/or bottom dwellers--whatever does not require trolling (Kids want more action they say). I've never fished the area and most of the reports are trolling for chinook--any suggestions? I don't want to run too far from James. The fish don't have to be keepers or edible for that matter--this is just a fun trip with the kids.
Thank you!!

fear_no_fish
Captain

Re: San Juans Help

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 am

You should be able to find some pinks swimming around close by. They were pretty thick up there a couple weeks ago.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:22 pm

was there one week ago. Straight west of the dock at James is a 30-35ft shelf....right off shore of Decatur. Saw pinks jumping and even got two casting. Also, SW corner of James can produce some bottom fish...not lights out but it's close to the dock.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:59 am

Have never fished the SJ's. My neighbor and I would be interested and willing to chip in on car pooling or someone responsible with a boat for fishing and crabbing. We have all gear and can also go on weekdays. We're in North Snoco. =D>
Bobber_Dogger

jpjames14
Angler

Post by jpjames14 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:46 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Pinks are moving all throughout the islands. Your best bet is always outside of San Juan island on both tides. Fish are easy to locate and in substantial numbers. I always do well trailing 75-100ft behind my DR ball with a really any pink set up. Short leader to small flasher, small pink squid and a herring strip. That will hook sockeye too that are in the area. Kings are also there just deeper, use your DS. As per Blakely - Obstruction Pass seems to be producing okay this year right off Orcas (general Blakely area). Hug the bottom and don't necessarily follow everyone else trolling in a line, mix it up. Troll from 100+ up to that 60ft mark and continue to move your ball. Herring strips are always good for kings - green ace high tucked in a white skirt works well. Seen a few caught off the point where the tide is ripping. Well fished on the back side of an Ebb. You will catch dog fish, but at least you know you are on track. Eagle bluff over on Cypress is good on the top of a flood, and the south tip of Cypress is fished well on an incoming tide early on if the fish are in - 80-100ft. Go from the buoy down the kelp line and about half way to the bay. Pick up and start over at the buoy, don't buck the tide. Always hug bottom no matter what for these kings. If you don't hook up a king early in the flood on the tip of Cypress there just might not be a good amount of them pushing through on that tide.

jpjames14
Angler

Post by jpjames14 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:47 pm

I see you are not trolling ;) Whoops. In that case, all those same areas - buzz bombs at jumping pinks off San Juan and mooching herring in all the other places.