Kayak Fishing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishndude
Petty Officer

Kayak Fishing

Post by fishndude » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:20 am

Hey everyone,

I know the kayak fishing community is a big one and was wondering if anyone here is part of it? I've been wanting to purchase a kayak because a boat is not realistic for me. The videos I've watched on YouTube are very encouraging and it seems that kayaks offer an array of opportunities. I've even seen people land huge halibut and even marlins on a yak.

Does anyone here have experience with kayak fishing in the Sound, Strait, lakes, rivers, and beyond? I have a few questions to be a little more objective:

1. Any suggestions on purchasing a kayak? What brand/model? Why?
2. A quick list of good kayak fishing places around here? I will most likely be targetting the lings and hallies when the season opens. But throughout the year, I hope to fish for salmon/bottomfish in the salt and trout/bass/muskie/walleye/panfish in the freshwater. I also want to try for sturgeon, if possible.
3. Maybe some advice on rigging the kayak? What are absolute necessities to have? What are nice-to-haves? Maybe some resources to learn how to properly rig one up? I've found some interesting videos on YouTube already.
4. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also found www.northwestkayakanglers.com and have been poking around. Anyone here on that site too?

Thanks guys!

Big D

RE:Kayak Fishing

Post by Big D » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 am

Hey fishndude,
Drop bionic_one a PM. He's always very helpful and I'm pertty sure he's a Yak guru.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:47 am

My advice would be to take a really good look at northwestkayakanglers.com. There is an entire section dedicated to each of the questions you asked. There are tons of pictures in the "drillin' and cuttin'" section showing you what people have on their yak and how they do it. There are reviews of various models of kayaks, types of propulsion, etc., with many different opinions and the reasons behind those opinions.

The standard kayak fishing setup includes a fishfinder, rod holder, and gear storage. Some of us (myself included) have GPS, downrigger, and other things you might not expect on a kayak.

Lee
Lee

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:56 pm

Fishndude-

I'm another guy from the NWKA site. If you dig around here I believe there are some photos from the WL.com BBQ with my setup. If you are hitting the salt you need to focus on your personal gear first (pfd, dry wear, etc...) and then your setup.
As far as gear goes- I don't tend to bring the kitchen sink with me in the sound, but in freshwater I'm your typical basser with far too much gear. Here's a pic from last years opener showing my salt setup (fish cooler bag, plano marine box w/ 3 rod holder, bat, front rod holder, FF, lip grippers, flag/light, rod, net, and hawg trough.)

This thread about the trip has some pics towards the end that show quite a few different takes on yak choice and setups for fishing in the salt. http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/in ... 526.0.html