What gear for ocean shores fishing?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
r.sok
Petty Officer

What gear for ocean shores fishing?

Post by r.sok » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:44 am

Tomorrow I'm going razor clamming with a couple of friends & I believe we're doing surf fishing also, I know there is surf perch around but what else might I expect to catch out there? Any recommended baits? I was thinking berkley power bait saltwater worms as I don't like rebaiting all the time

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:What gear for ocean shores fishing?

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:46 am

razor clam meat. You may even have to tie it on using thread. Do be careful in the surf. It can be very dangerous.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:52 am

go to your local market and buy the cheapest grocery shrimp you can find, or squid. use about thumbnail size pieces on your hook

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Do a search in the forum for surf fishing, there were a few threads with some good info this year. Here's a bit I posted this Summer on the subject.

Fish the ocean beaches for surf perch. Dig/clam gun/pump your own sand shrimp from the bay and you've got the best bait going. You can fish from right next to the jetty all the way down the beach. The closer you get to the jetty the more likely you are to hook into something other than perch such as flounder. Just keep moving until you find a school and it can be non-stop can't get the bait back in the water fast enough kind of fishing. I rig up with a 3 oz pyramid sinker and double rig two bait hooks about a foot and a foot and a half above the sinker, yes double headers do happen when fishing this way. If you have waders bring them just in case the temps don't agree with you.

This time of year waders are a must! Also, you may think about wearing a life vest as well. Slip it on under your rain gear and no one will know the difference, it keeps you warm to boot. Sand shrimp are by far the best bait going. Next up would be mole crabs and then store bought prawn/shrimp meat. Use an egg loop to help keep your bait on the hook and learn how to thread a shrimp onto your line. As for gear, I use a mooching rod and a level wind with 15lb line for casting the whole mess out there. You need a rod that can handle casting 3 ounces of weight and a line heavy enough to take that type of abuse as well. One last thing...If you catch a spawning female surf perch you can use the little ones as bait. Yes, they squirt them out live and ready for action. Just give their tummy a little squeeze to help them pop out. I throw the ones I don't use into a bucket of water and set them free.

Here is a link to an article written a few years back on the subject.

[url]http://[/url]http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Surf_fishing.htm

Coastfishin
Commander

Post by Coastfishin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Dig some sand shrimp, they are a good bait for surf fishing. there are lots of shrimp beds all along the beach.

r.sok
Petty Officer

Post by r.sok » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:10 pm

I never dug for sand shrimp before, I suppose I could just use a shovel? or a clam pump? I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'll be buying shrimp along with getting some gulp products and these 2-3inch imitation squid to go for other fish for game.

Thanks for the replies, I'm pretty anxious.

ICSpots
Petty Officer

Post by ICSpots » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:07 pm

Here is a surf perch article from the boys down in California. The same setup should work up here too.

http://www.swimbait.com/techniques/perch.htm

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:51 am

A clam gun works great on sand shrimp. At ocean shores hit the bay right next to the marina for shrimp, best time is when the tide is out.