Rods

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
stanford
Petty Officer

Rods

Post by stanford » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:26 am

Hey guys,-- I need help finding some new rods for my arsenal. I had some borderline Shimano rods last year, but I'm thinking of upgrading to some newer rods. What are some affordable high end rods, I'm thinking of Lamiglas, Shimano, All Star, anything but Loomi's not at that stage yet. Oh yeah I would be putting Tekota 300's on them. 4$th of July Elliot bay fishery should be interesting. Any opinions/info appresiated. Thanks--silver
Kyles Outdoor Adventure Fishing Services check it out?

Dave
Commodore

RE:Rods

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Welcome to WALakes.co,

In the salt I use Ugly Stick rods and Penn reels. Ugly Stick rods are affordable and handle the salt well. The basic Penn reels are also affordable and do well in salt conditions. In fresh water I use Fenwick rods and Pflueger reels for both my fly and spinning setups.

Moosestock
Angler

Post by Moosestock » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:05 pm

They aren't "High End" rods but I really like the Berkley Air 7 rods. They are graphite and come in different weights. I mostly jig and use the 8'6" heavy action rod and it would also be fine for motor mooching/downrigger use. They are well built with good guides and I believe they are currently on sale at Joes for 39.99 (with a 30$ berkley rebate). They usually list for 79.99. I actually prefer them to my 8'6" lamiglas Salmon moocher for the way I fish. Hope that helps........Les

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Shimano Clarus rods. Very, very light, and a great rod for the money. I don't think I spent more then $80 on them. I have two. 8'6" and 9'6". I got a Bantam 50 on one, and a Cardiff on the other. Shimano setups I guess you could say, but for the money, you will have trouble finding anything better...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:25 am

i have tried the Berkley rods (Buzz Ramsey) and they are decent. like Moosestock said, not "high end", but if the rod works well price shouldn't matter. i did have an unfortunate experience in the boat and snapped that Berkley right in half. crap happens. So, like Dave said, i now own an Ugly Stick. Very happy with it and as a matter of fact the ugly stick with my Abu 6600 reel on it just FLEW OUT OF MY BOAT on Thursday going down the highway at 60mph. (long story, flasher caught the wind)) I ended up finding it in the ditch at the reel is pretty messed, but not even a broken guide on the rod!!! so they are pretty tough rods. you could probably buy a more expensive rod, and even a more specialty rod (i use mine for everything, jigging, mooching, DR's)), but the 8'6'' ugly stick has treated me great. I can't comment on the shimano rods, but I'm sure they are quality also....
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....