Mukilteo Boat Launch

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
GHB3
Angler

Mukilteo Boat Launch

Post by GHB3 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm not sure how many of you use the Mukilteo boat launch, but they are proposing a considerable rate increase.
Here is the letter I received in case anyone else wants to either send a email, letter or attend the meeting.

December 3, 2014
RE: Proposed Fee Increase for 2015
Boat Launch Parking Permit Holders
Mukilteo City Council will be considering a proposed fee increase for Boat Launch Parking Permits in 2015 on December
15, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. at City Hall, 11930 Cyrus Way, Mukilteo, WA.
Background
The City took over the State Park in 2003 and established the current fee schedule. Fees have not changed for over 11
years; however the cost to maintain the boat launch and park continues to increase.
Proposal
The proposed fee changes are as follows:
For comparison purposes The Port of Everett’s launch fees are $9.00 per day or $150.00 for an annual pass.
If you are interested in commenting on the proposed changes, you may provide oral or written comments at the
meeting. Written comments will be accepted at City Hall, located at 11930 Cyrus Way, until 4:30 P.M. the day of the
meeting.
If you have a disability which may limit your participation in the meeting process, please contact the City Clerk’s office at
425.263.8005 at least three (3) business days in advance of the meeting so that we can arrange a reasonable
accommodation for you.
If you have further questions please don’t hesitate to contact me at (425) 263-8060.
Sincerely
Shawna Gossett, C.P.T.
Permit Services Supervisor
C: Correspondence
CITY OF MUKILTEO
11930 C\rus Wuv— Mukilico, WA 98275
Daily Fees Current Proposed
Peak (5/15—9/30) $10.00 $15.00
Non-Peak (10/1—5/14) $5.00 $10.00
Annual Fee Current Proposed
Resident $35.00 $50.00
Non Resident $60.00 $100.00
VCDD\Parking - Bnat Launch Parklng\Boat Launch Parking Permit Holders Ltr.docx

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Mukilteo Boat Launch

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:16 pm

I think I'd rather pay $40 and launch at the sling in Edmonds.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:25 pm

$15.00 to launch off of what feels like the most dangerous/difficult launch areas in the area? Wouldn't do it. If I want to launch north of Edmonds I'll just go for Everett. It's cheaper. Easier to launch out of. No fussing with ferry traffic. Less foot traffic.

I'd prefer to launch out of Edmonds but that $40.00 and limited hours thing just kills you.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:21 am

I have never launched at Mukilteo because the first time I went down to check it out I watched a group of guys fighting the waves trying to get a 18-20 ft fiberglass boat on there trailer when a big wave kicked there boat up and forward. Slamming it on the nose rest and punch it through the hull. Everett has a nice launch set up and is close for me plus the docks are at a nice hight.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:51 pm

I actually got tossed out of a boat at the Mukilteo launch because of the waves. We had the boat tied the dock while I waited for my friend to come back with his car. Next thing I know I'm in the water and the rope busted. So unless it's calm I ain't gonna even think of Mukilteo.

I heard the parks department and city council brought this up last year as well. They also were talking about putting parking meters along the water front parking areas and at the beach and charge people to park (regardless). Don't think that would do any the businesses any good if they did that but still.

Adam B.
Petty Officer

Post by Adam B. » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Not sure how they can compare their launch to Everetts And charge more per day. If you are trying to raise money to move the launch around the corner next to the new ferry dock, that would be one thing. I would be for that. But there are lots of
things you have to deal with at Mukilteo that you don't at Everett (no washdown, people parking on the launch ramp, waiting for people crossing to move from the launch lanes so we can launch, cars parking in the boat trailer parking only spots, ect.). I have been using it due to saving the 15 to 20 minutes of running time to get to Possesion bar or farther. But if they go with the higher prices, I will be looking at Everett instead.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Let's be real here. The boat launchers are the minority user group here..... the launch is un-maintained..... they get equipment down there to move sand around once in a while, but for the most part its a sand trap and a death wish in high currents and waves.

Increasing fees for users of the greenspace and park is fine. Increasing the boat launch "slightly" possibly also fine... but a 60% increase? C'mon now....... and 60% more expensive than the best and safest launch around (Everett)? Yowsa.

Someone needs to pull their head out and see the light here. lol.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:53 pm

FYI If you are an old guy, you can get a sticker from the Everett Marina for free launching at Everett. I'm not sure of the age requirement. I've been getting my sticker for five years now and I'm 70. May be as low as 62, I'm not sure. Anyway, to get your sticker just go to the Everett Marina Office and show your drivers license. I've run into lots of old guys that don't know about it.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:23 pm

You could pop in there and grab an extra sticker for me...... right? =D>

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:09 pm

I'll ditto Matt's thoughts. I'm all for paying my fair share for public improvements but find it more than a bit unfair that the only activity charged for at many parks is boat launching. Around Lake Washington there's gobs of free parks and darn nice ones, but boat launches get more and more expensive. Those that have significant improvements I understand charging for (Like Lake Sammamish) but when the rest of the park gets improvements and the launch doesn't I don't see the justification.
It would be interesting to see the economics on where that launch money actually goes.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Yah sure........you betcha!
Matt wrote:You could pop in there and grab an extra sticker for me...... right? =D>

GHB3
Angler

Post by GHB3 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:08 am

Here’s an update on the Mukilteo Boat launch proposed fee increase…

I attended the Mukilteo City Hall meeting last night where they were discussing the launch increase. They are taking the letters people have sent in, along with the comments that a few of us mentioned at the meeting and going look further into comparisons at other launches and possible put together a workshop to determine if the proposed increase would be at the city and publics best interest.

In the meantime they are postponing the rate increase until after the February 2nd meeting where they will discuss their results and findings of the workshop.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:30 am

Thanks for the update! [thumbup]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Unless they use the fees to improve the safety of the launch, folks are just going to drive up the hill to Everett. As it should.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:15 pm

They also need to manage the parking area better. So many people parking their cars in boat and trailer spots... especially during the Mukilteo Farmers Market. The 2 times we tried to launch during the market left a bad taste in our mouths. And yet the 1 time I parked in one of those spots... for 10 minutes (bathroom break)... my car is surrounded by officers.... and I was rode like a borken mule and the lot was for the most part empty.

I wish they could make that launch safer... a Jetty/wall would be a great start.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:39 am

It is my understanding they have no intent of bolstering the current launch or making any improvements. The launch itself has been on the chopping block in recent years with proposals to turn the whole area into urban green space, remove the parking, and shuttle folks down the hill.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Not surprising that they may close the Mulk launch. Puget Sound has a distinct lack of launch ramps. I was raised in Portland and still fish there for Springers in the Willy and Fall run in the C. On both the Willy and the C they have ramps like every 4 or 5 river miles. For us its like every 20 miles on the Sound.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Mukilteo Boat Launch Suggestion?

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:20 am

Why don't they move the launch or better yet, put in a break water (broken concrete jetty type wall) so it isn't so dangerous to launch out of Mukilteo? The area is already like Grand Central for congestion. Everett or even Marysville's Ebey Waterfront launch is wayyyy better. Kayak Point park's boat launch even better. It's only $7.00 for the day use fee or $70 for an annual parking pass. That includes use of the entire park or pier, not just the launch. KP even has camping for boaters. How cool is that? I'd like to meet other locals who fish the KP area of 8-2 (((((Fish On))))) [thumbup]
Last edited by Bobber_Dogging_Gal on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bobber_Dogger

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:07 pm

I don't think Mukilteo gives a hoot about launching boats and fishermen. That area is more like a park for people to walk around and feed the seagulls on a nice day. I'd be surprised if that launch is still there in a few years.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:39 am

BARCHASER wrote:I don't think Mukilteo gives a hoot about launching boats and fishermen. That area is more like a park for people to walk around and feed the seagulls on a nice day. I'd be surprised if that launch is still there in a few years.
I agree.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".