Pinks from the beach

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
White Boy
Angler

Pinks from the beach

Post by White Boy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:55 pm

I like casting rather than trolling because it is more active. I don't care if I don't catch as much but was wondering what type of tackle to use from shore while casting for pinks or coho for that matter. Also if there is anything to look for when trying to find a good location on the beach or even a small tip to prevent loosing as many lures of rocks and such. Really anything helps because I don't know much about casting from beaches, Thx.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Pinks from the beach

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:05 pm

can't go wrong with buzz bombs but spinners, plugs and spoons all work.

NimmunDay
Petty Officer

Post by NimmunDay » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Pink or Perch colored Buzz Bombs in 2 in and 2 1/2 in, P-Line Humpy jigs 1oz or 1 1/2 oz, Cerise Crippled herrings in 3/4 oz or 1 oz, metal jigs are generally the best,although I've heard of people catching with Squid jigs in 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz if you can find them. If you fish at Deception Pass though, you might want to use a bit heavier jigs due to the heavy currents there. If you smear a little Shrimp flavored Smelly Jelly on your lure, your golden!
Thank you! Come again! Image

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Look for rollers, if theyre there, they should be jumping, pink stuff works great, like twitching a pink hootchie jig or a spoon or spinner in pink
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

NimmunDay
Petty Officer

Post by NimmunDay » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:22 pm

I've found that if you use lighter lures that sink slow at dawn,you get a higher hookup rate. I think it's because when the sun in low in the sky, the humpies are generally in the top 20 ft of water, the higher the sun gets, the deeper the fish go, and the heavier the lure you should use, so a small squid jig or a spinner would be a good choice in the early morning. don't forget that shrimp smelly jelly. That stuffs like fish crack, they just can get enough, getting hit three times in one cast can happen!

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:31 pm

To the original poster...where are you fishing? I lost 2 and buddy got 5lb silver yesterday off a beach. The fish will be so thick in a week or two......

NimmunDay
Petty Officer

Post by NimmunDay » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:39 pm

wolff wrote:To the original poster...where are you fishing? I lost 2 and buddy got 5lb silver yesterday off a beach. The fish will be so thick in a week or two......
Dang! where were you fishing wolff?

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:41 pm

NimmunDay wrote:I've found that if you use lighter lures that sink slow at dawn,you get a higher hookup rate. I think it's because when the sun in low in the sky, the humpies are generally in the top 20 ft of water, the higher the sun gets, the deeper the fish go, and the heavier the lure you should use, so a small squid jig or a spinner would be a good choice in the early morning. don't forget that shrimp smelly jelly. That stuffs like fish crack, they just can get enough, getting hit three times in one cast can happen!
Off the salt beaches I fish, hot sun or not, the fish hugg the shore. The silver that a friend caught yesterday was barely 15 feet off shore and I was getting sunburned.

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:44 pm

NimmunDay wrote:
wolff wrote:To the original poster...where are you fishing? I lost 2 and buddy got 5lb silver yesterday off a beach. The fish will be so thick in a week or two......
Dang! where were you fishing wolff?
PM me....

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:05 pm

White Boy wrote: Also if there is anything to look for when trying to find a good location on the beach or even a small tip to prevent loosing as many lures of rocks and such.
You can look for locals fishing and see what they are doing. You can look for no thick kelp beds. You can look for no rocks. You can use lighter buzz bombs and rotators to keep off bottom. I like seeing seals or rollers/jumpers which usually means a seal is on their ass.

White Boy
Angler

Post by White Boy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Do you think I would have any luck fishing off of the Camano state park beach for pinks on August 1st, is that too early or...?

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 pm

I fished there in 2011 and had fair luck.