No Ethanol 15!

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BARCHASER10
Captain

No Ethanol 15!

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Ethanol is extremely damaging to outboard motors. If E10 isnt bad enough, now our friends in DC are talking about E15, 15% Ethanol. Really, Ethanol is just a back door subsidy for rich midwest farmers.

There is a link in the folliwng paragraph. Click on it to register your feelings about E15. If they insist on this, maybe they'll give us a $1000 tax credit to fix busted outboards, yah sure, you betcha!

Gary

America's Boaters Speak Up Loudly: Don't Give Us More Ethanol
Without Testing It First
Boat Owners Association Reports Grassroots Efforts

ALEXANDRIA, Va., October 12, 2010 - In the battle to add up to 50% more ethanol to the nation's gas supply without first providing scientific evidence it won't harm boat engines or cause serious safety issues, America's recreational boaters have spoken. Of the over 22,000 Americans who have emailed President Obama in the last thirteen days urging him to stop the EPA from approving the increase, BoatUS reports that nearly three-fourths of those emails are from BoatUS members and other recreational boaters.
"On the very first day there were over 11,000 emails sent to the President that were generated through the http://www.FollowTheScience.org website attributed to BoatUS members and their friends," said BoatUS Vice President of Government Affairs Margaret Podlich. "This shows our boat-owning membership is very worried about this issue and wants to see independent testing completed first. We hope their grassroots activism has an impact on this decision."
A wide-ranging coalition of groups behind FollowtheScience.org created the email campaign in anticipation of the EPA's decision - expected in just a few days - that is likely to announce the authorization of increased ethanol in the nation's fuel supply.
Why are boaters speaking out so strongly?
Large numbers of boaters have been impacted by 10% ethanol in their gasoline, which was rolled out nationwide a few years ago. A solvent, ethanol can degrade fuel systems and harm boat engines. BoatUS members have reported engine breakdowns, some leading to expensive repairs and potential safety issues. "Boaters have already been left holding the bag once when ethanol was introduced at 10% (E10)," said Podlich. "With no recourse, our members were forced to use a fuel that affected the reliability of their engines."
Working on behalf of over 500,000 members, BoatUS had previously asked the EPA to see the science first. However, to date no independent testing of marine engines with the use of "mid-level" ethanol blends (up to 15%) has been completed. Most boat engine warranties are void when using ethanol beyond the 10% blend level.
BoatUS continues to urge recreational boaters or anyone with gas-powered equipment or vehicles to go to www.BoatUS.com/gov and let President Obama know your concerns about ethanol and ask him to require the EPA to complete testing and get the science first.
BoatUS is part of FollowTheScience.org, a coalition of 46 motor sports, environmental, food and citizen advocate groups asking for "science first" before the EPA allows a new fuel on the market. BoatUS is also a member of AllSAFE, the Alliance for a Safe Alternative Fuels Environment.

###
About BoatUS:
BoatUS - Boat Owners Association of The United States - is the nation's leading advocate for recreational boaters providing over half a million members with government representation, programs and money saving services. For membership information visit www.BoatUS.com or call 800-395-2628.

Matt
Admiral

RE:No Ethanol 15!

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Oh god please no, E10 is bad enough, lets not increase it by another 5%. I already have to ad Sta-Bil to ever single tank and STILL have problems, I am sure E15 will just cause a world of pain and suffering for us boaters.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

jerrysgonefishing
Petty Officer

Post by jerrysgonefishing » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:50 am

It's coming to a station near you!! Get ready to buy lots of gas treatment and gas/water separaters and at a minimun new rubber fuel lines. Read the link below.

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/dri ... -10-now-/1

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:05 am

Somebody posted this link for non Ethanol stations. Click on WA. There is one in Snohomish but thats about it around Seattle. I just filled my 42 gal tank withj E10 before I saw this link or I would've filled at the Snohomish station. The link has a map to the station and an update feature to confirm the station still has non E10.

http://pure-gas.org/