Westport

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gpc
Admiral

Westport

Post by gpc » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:36 pm

Might be going to Westport this weekend. Not doing a charter or anything just hanging out. But I want to do some fishing in the boat basin for salmon. Just wondering if anybody out there has fished for the salmon in the boat basin. I have fished it a few times for salmon but never did any good. Or if anybody has been there recently and seen any salmon milling around. Any pointers would be great. Thanks in advance.

scott080379
Commodore

RE:Westport

Post by scott080379 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:41 pm

cut plugs is all I have ever used but some toss spinners.

Hit the jetty and go after some surf perch

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Yeah I will probally give the jetty a go to.

Thats what I see most using is spinner of some type. How do you fish your cut plug? Just under a float?

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:45 pm

yep under a float or jsut a 1oz banana weight toss that sucker out and wait for the fight. Spinners would be my go to for coho though.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks for the tip scott080379. I have never used a cut plug other than for trolling or mooching. If I see more kings, I have a feeling thats gonna change. I like the idea behind a banana weight.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:12 pm

I'll be in the Westport area on a camping trip next week for 8 nights and am looking forward to some surf perch fishing if the weather and tide will cooperate and just takin it easy on the ocean. Maybe enjoy a storm. I also hope the Original House Of Pizza is re-opened. I was there last year about this time and they were closed due to a fire. They have great food there. Not only is their pizza great but their onion rings are top notch. Also gonna take a drive to Cannon Beach one of the days as well to enjoy all the shops on Main Street and maybe have lunch at the local watering hole downtown. They have a great burger and fries there. Can't wait to get away!!! Curious to know how you do GPC if you fish the jetty for perch. I've given it a try at Half Moon Bay there in Westport and the tide / current was tough making fishing a bit of a challenge. I was told by a local that to catch perch and or cod off the jetty, you have to walk quite a ways out on it which didn't interest me because I had my wife with me and didn't want to take the risk out on the rocks with her. Anyway, I look forward to a report of your fish.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Dave wrote:I'll be in the Westport area on a camping trip next week for 8 nights and am looking forward to some surf perch fishing if the weather and tide will cooperate and just takin it easy on the ocean. Maybe enjoy a storm. I also hope the Original House Of Pizza is re-opened. I was there last year about this time and they were closed due to a fire. They have great food there. Not only is their pizza great but their onion rings are top notch. Also gonna take a drive to Cannon Beach one of the days as well to enjoy all the shops on Main Street and maybe have lunch at the local watering hole downtown. They have a great burger and fries there. Can't wait to get away!!! Curious to know how you do GPC if you fish the jetty for perch. I've given it a try at Half Moon Bay there in Westport and the tide / current was tough making fishing a bit of a challenge. I was told by a local that to catch perch and or cod off the jetty, you have to walk quite a ways out on it which didn't interest me because I had my wife with me and didn't want to take the risk out on the rocks with her. Anyway, I look forward to a report of your fish.
hint: if you find the right spot at the right time of the day, you can catch rockfish and perch at jetty spots in Westport within a few yards of where you park your car.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:46 pm

ling cod season is open til the 16th. Fish off the jetty and catch 'em! That's where I grew up fishing, silver in the boat basin with a blue fox of buzz bomb work well, but thew jetty is the best.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Well heading out tommarow morning. Gonna stay at the Islander. Hopefully nail a couple crab along with a salmon, and just relax. Thanks for all the tips guys

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:18 am

Looking forward to your report

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:35 pm

how did the trip go? as I plan on heading out this weekend!
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;