Spanish Lake, New Iberia Louisiana

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Spanish Lake, New Iberia Louisiana

Post by The Quadfather » Fri May 15, 2009 4:32 pm

I've been in Louisiana this past week. Last night I went and put together some fishing gear to keep down here, so I can have something to do with the kids when we come to town.
We spent the afternoon at a place called "Spanish Lake" about a 1/2 hour from Lafayette. The lake is loaded with a variety of fish. The only fish that would give us any attention is what the people down here call Brim, which I think is what we back in the NW refer to as bluegill. The lake is huge, and the Brim seemed to like our nightcrawlers but could not deal with our hook size and worm size. The kids enjoyed seeing their bobbers run across the lake, but were unable to snag the small fish. What was cool though was that like we have Carp as our typical scavenger skank fish back in the NW.... here they have what is known as Gar http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/10983 ... ee.jpg?v=0
Somebody had caught a 38 lb and 26 lb catfish. I only saw the pics. but it was pretty coo.

While standing on the dock we saw many good size Gar and other fish jumping, and at least two that were 20lbs cruised 10' from the dock. Also saw a Water Mocassin (sp?) turtles and many other cool wildlife creatures.
95 deg. in the sun. (as was the dock)
Now that I have a tackle box put together I will be able to get out whenever I am down here. The local tackle shops have CRAZY AMOUNTS of bass baits like I've never seen before. Also the whole state is in it's own world as far as leniancy on fishing regs. You just go into a bait shop and buy live shiner (bait fish) by the bagful. and live other critters that I would not touch. But on one last note of differences.. sometimes I too feel that some of the fishing places I go in the NW need some better self control from people on littering, keeping things picked up etc. But it has been my experience that down here the swamp, and outdoors in general are WAY behind things in the NW. :-({|= Washington is so much cleaner.
Can't wait to get back tomorrow to what should be a ready to burst bass scene in Wa.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 15, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

eustace
Lieutenant

RE:Spanish Lake, New Iberia Louisiana

Post by eustace » Mon May 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Quadfather, I used to have a job working on Towers that would take me all over the country and I know what it is like down there. I miss that job for one reason, during down time I fished where ever I was. You are right about the littering for one thing. The gar can be caught and they are fun, getting your bait unhooked is as easy as cutting the line because, thats about the only way. Your report makes me think of Louisiana and the Red fishing I experienced around Grand Island. If there ever was a southern state I would move too for fishing thats where it would be. I have fished Florida and caught alot of fish but for size thats where its at.

O Yeah watch out for those alligator snapping turtles they spook me more than any gator. I was walking along the shoreline on Lake Ponchatrain when what I that was a clump of wood started moving and it was a huge ass AGST. I was more concerned about gators at the time. They are freakishly spooky. The Gators always spooked away the AGST stand there ground.
Well its not called Catching!

Return to “Beyond the Northwest -Bud N Mary's Marina, Sponsor”