Brad's Super Bait Cut Plug?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
jbball50
Commander

Brad's Super Bait Cut Plug?

Post by jbball50 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:34 pm

So I was just wondering if anyone's fished this plug for salmon in the rivers or sound. Saw it at the store and seen some raves about it before for the Columbia River, just wondering if anyone's had any luck or success, looks like you can put a strip of herring in between the bait too by opening up the plug and placing it inside.

rseas
Commander

RE:Brad's Super Bait Cut Plug?

Post by rseas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

We used them on the Columbia off the mouth of the Okanogan River last July and they kicked bu.. I mean salmon. Ran them behing a hot Spot flasher. We took out the sponge that they come with and filled them full of oil packed canned tuna.

Big D

Post by Big D » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Brad's cut plugs are the best thing since sliced bread. We caught these down river from Wanapum Dam last season using a Brad's super bait cut plug stuffed with oil packed tuna in mountain dew color. I would recommend leaving the foam insert inside the bait after you've soaked it in the tuna oil. It will hold the sent longer.

And here's how we rigged them up.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Nice fish, think I'll go to Fred Meyer and pick up one of them, they only had 1 left of the Blue Hawaiian version or whatever it's called and they had some other one that I don't think I'd want to try.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:27 am

Great fish Big D! I have always wondered if there was a plug out there that could hold a scent sponge or piece of herring. I will add that to my box. When you mention oil packed tuna do you mean that literally? Any info on scents you recommend would be much appreciated. Lastly, do you find any specific color works better than others? Thanks.

Dave

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:01 am

I know every boat will be pulling these for the July 1st opener on the Columbia right below Wanapum Dam. Make sure if you do go to Wanapum in July you bring your own tuna over the mountains. Every store in Mattawa and Desert Aire will be sold out of the stuff. Oh yeah and it HAS to be the tuna in OIL not tuna in water.

Big D

Post by Big D » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 am

Dave wrote:Great fish Big D! I have always wondered if there was a plug out there that could hold a scent sponge or piece of herring. I will add that to my box. When you mention oil packed tuna do you mean that literally? Any info on scents you recommend would be much appreciated. Lastly, do you find any specific color works better than others? Thanks.Dave
Hey Dave,
Thanks for the great fish comment.
I use Brad's cut plugs almost exclusively while trolling for Chinook in the upper Columbia. I've caught Kings at the Brewster Pool, Below Wells Dam, in the Wenatchee area and below Wanapum Dam in several places. I'm getting quite a large collection of different colors saved up and ready for this next season. As far as colors go I like Hot Tamale, Black Jack, Blue Hawaiian, Shamrock, Mountain Doo, Lady Bug and Watermelon. I've tried to get several of each color that they make because I'm a tackle junkie and I just can't help myself. I've caught fish on all of the colors listed above so I really can't pick just one.

You asked about oil packed Tuna. Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Use the Tuna that comes packed in oil and not Tuna that's packed in water. The oil will hold much better to the baits and leak out slower.
Here's what I use.

As far as extra or different scents go I use whatever I can get a hold of.
You might try using Anise oil, Garlic oil, Shrimp oil and Herring oil all mixed in with the Tuna oil of course.
I even go as far as running different things through our food processer and then adding the stuff into my Tuna. It does however piss my wife off when I run whole Herring through it and forget to run it through the dish washer. I think I'll purchase a new food processer this season just for doing bait. (Happy Wife = more time on the water)
As I mentioned above...Always use the sponge as it holds the oils for a longer period of time.

Here's a couple of videos that show how to load and fish the Brads cut plugs and super baits and besides Don is a buddy of mine and he likes it when I point out that he's one of the original inventers of the Super Baits and now the Brad's cut plugs.
jeBijaKkpLM
KBXFrL3ptBw&feature=related
9uQgOo_2xfs&feature=related
0ZsEAaMNF9Q&feature=related

And here's a link to Hooked on Toys here in Wenatchee so you can purchase Super Baits when all of the stores on the West side of the mountains run out.
http://hookedontoys.com/ProductList.asp ... goryID=135
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks Big D,

Sorry for the late reply. It's been busy lately at work so my apology. I bought 2 of the super bait cut plugs today, they were 9.95 each but if that's what they cost, so be it. I bought the "black jack" and the "glow frog" which is a green spatterback color which I know works well in Puget Sound. I will add a few more of the colors you recommended soon. The display hooks these colors were on had only a few of baits on left them and the other colors had several which made me think that these two colors were popular, so I picked them. I will let you know how I do using them and I thank you for the information and the reply about the tuna in oil. I actually bought the tuna in oil today as well. So I will mix the tuna oil with some scents I have and hopefully that will work. Thanks again.

Dave

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Also look for the red/orange label sized version of this lure come July. They were demo'ing them in a tank at the Sportsman's show in Puyallup. I also seem to remember a purple/black label size in the tank as well. If anyone sees them on the shelves, please let me and the rest of the site know!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:11 am

I was at Holiday Sports in Burlington yesterday June 10th 2010 and saw a red/orange Brad's Super Bait which I believe may be the new bait you were referring to in your last forum entry G-Man. It was thinner than the cut plug baits. They had two of these skinnier baits in two different colors. I also saw them at Fred Meyer.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sjrose24
Petty Officer

Re: Brad's Super Bait Cut Plug?

Post by sjrose24 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 am

Bringing back an old thread here on the superbaits. Was just curious how long of a leader you run behind the dodger to your superbait when you fishing below wanapum?

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Bumping the thread again. Now that the BKP's are on the market. How long are people running the leaders from flasher to them? I watched the video on Angler West and he was running 36" but wow. Would still want the chain swivels in that set up but seems long to me.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:49 pm

As they simulate a cut plug herring and they create their own action, I run them 48" to 60" from the flasher/dodger. They can be run by themselves as well, but if you do so, you'll want to use a double bead chain setup if you are running it straight off the downrigger clip. 36" is a bit short in my opinion as lures with drag negatively effect flasher/dodger action the shorter the leader is.

salmonbarry
Warrant Officer

Post by salmonbarry » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Sportco had them today G-man! The color you were referring to is the Hollywood! 2.2 kokanee have been added to my arsenal!!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:58 pm

salmonbarry wrote:Sportco had them today G-man! The color you were referring to is the Hollywood! 2.2 kokanee have been added to my arsenal!!
Yeah baby, yeah! Guess I had better get myself down there before the first lot have all been sold.

salmonbarry
Warrant Officer

Post by salmonbarry » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Outdoor emporium didn't get their shipment yet just an FYI!