How do you pack your gear around?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
MikeFishes
Commander

How do you pack your gear around?

Post by MikeFishes » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:19 pm

For this year's Christmas list I was thinking of putting a fishing vest on it so that I can use it when I go fishing.

I have a friend who uses a fishing vest and he usually puts what he needs in it when he goes fishing. I had one of those hip packs that I got when Joes went out of business. That thing is tearing at the seams so it's time it needs to be replaced. I like to carry only what I need and avoid hauling around EVERYTHING.

I usually go to the rivers for salmon and sometimes trout. I always seem to end up in a place where there's a good bit of walking, so the gear has to be portable. If I'm fishing at a lake, I do have a tackle bag that I use because it's usually me plus one or two of my kids.

primetime
Commander

Re: How do you pack your gear around?

Post by primetime » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 pm

I use a back pack. Fishing vests just don't feel very comfortable. They can be more convenient though when switching up gear in the river.

Mong_fisherman
Angler

Post by Mong_fisherman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:04 pm

I use a "pull cord backpack" or "pull string backpack." It's small enough where I don't lug around my entire gear but light and roomy enough that I can pack for whatever I am fishing for.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:20 pm

I use a vest, but it can get pretty bulky as the season progresses and I keep loading gear into it. Have to clear it out occasionally. I like the convenience of having everything at hand, but most trips I only use a few things from the pockets anyhow, so makes the rest just baggage. However, it's there if I need it!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:22 pm

I too usually carry a backpack. I use one the size of what high school kids carry their books in. I like this approach because different compartments can hold different gear, and my travel size fly rods fit within.
What I don't like is that it is not practical to be wearing it on your back, in the river. This means constantly going to shore to switch gear.
What I like is to wear one of those "Front facing" style fishing gear packs. They sell them in most fly shops.
With this approach I can pack out on to the river, a handful of gear. Does not get in the way when fishing, and even has stretch cables for clippers, hemostat, etc.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Best $30 backpack fishing bag I've ever found:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-E ... /10204414/

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:33 pm

Just another vote for backpack.

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:33 pm

I would definitely recommend getting something that is waterproof/water resistant. Can't stand it when my pack is soaked through after an hour or two of being on the river.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 am

This is what I use
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Blackmoon ... m_sbs_sg_3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has a waterproof rain cover that is folded in to a liitle pouch which sits on the top, opened up covers the bag and keeps it dry. I like it and i think it is worth the money.
However the one mike just posted looks really good value for the money and looks like it will hold a lot of gear. I have waded with mine on and found it sat higher enough up not to hurt my back.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:14 am

I normally just use a boat. It holds a lot more stuff and its easier on a guys back.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:47 am

Bodofish wrote:I normally just use a boat. It holds a lot more stuff and its easier on a guys back.
thats great for people who have boats. For those of us with no boat, no way to haul a boat, and no where to put a boat, well, we need something a bit smaller and more practical. [tongue]

Glad this came up, as I need to replace my simple, cheapo backpack that is falling apart, for when I'm hiking the rivers. I really like that pack Mike posted above, but I am thinking I want a chest pack. Fished with Nate last winter and his looked handy as heck, especially when you're out in the river.

When fishing for trout from the bank, I carry a small Plano bag. Small enough for what little tackle I carry for trout, and holds 3 of the smaller, 3600 sized tackle boxes. I can have one for hooks/swivels and weights, one for spinners/spoons, and that leaves enough space for slip floats and leader spools.

If I also have a bigger Plano bag that was a christmas gift, #3364 softsider (also comes in camoflauge color). Pretty handy with lots of pockets (even has a clear map pocket inside the top) and holds four of the bigger tackle boxes. I use that if I am going to be in 1 place fishing for the day, or on the rare occasion I get out on a boat, and intend to fish for more than one species. It's not practical for packing around much, however.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:09 am

Hehehehehe, yeah, just poking a stick in the bee hive. Take a look at the back pack Sickbayer is talking about, awesome if you need to haul a bunch of stuff. For a quick walk in I use my William Joseph chest pack with a built in backpack. Chest pack is very handy for items needed to be close at hand and if you need something out of the back you can spin it around or walk to shore for a sec.. I normally use it when I'm on the fly but it works for gear too.

But the boat still trumps all packs period.

This is the pack...front and back:
http://www.williamjoseph.net/gear.php?u ... Confluence
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Just do what I do when shore fishing: Take a grandkid or some other random related kid and have them carry the stuff. Builds character. When they ask why you aren't carrying anything, just tell 'em your character was built years ago, and to be quiet lest they scare the fish.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:49 pm

When banking I use a fishing vest. If I need more (packing in layers of clothes or food/water) then a backpack. I just get backpacks at goodwill cause they are cheap.

I also spray the heck out of EVERYTHING with silicone water proofing stuff at least twice a year
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:56 pm

I use a waterproof hunting backpack that holds the Plano plastic boxes perfect and has 6 different pockets for misc. stuff... It also has the rifle sling on it that I use for putting rods in so when I am hiking in , I don't have to carry them. As for my boat, I just use a waterproof tackle bag with the same Plano boxes in it... I got my backpack at Walmart for 20.00 made by Remington....

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:22 pm

I have a customized milk crate I can take from my boat to my kayak. when shore fishing I have a soft sided. all my gear is in organized (well, sort of) plano type plastic boxes. I just grab the ones I need, with 1 small one that I have nearly always.
Eat, sleep, fish

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:26 pm

fishinChristian wrote:Just do what I do when shore fishing: Take a grandkid or some other random related kid and have them carry the stuff. Builds character. When they ask why you aren't carrying anything, just tell 'em your character was built years ago, and to be quiet lest they scare the fish.
In a couple years my son will start to build that character haha

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:39 am

I hire bearers to carry my stuff. Try Lowes or Home Depot.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 am

I thought I had an original idea the other day so went online just to see if it's been done, and of course it has.

Really considering building one of these, except I'm going to affix a sheet of styrofoam under the "floor" section so it floats if I have to wade up or down river to a hole.

Has anyone used a stryrofoam caddy like the one pictured in the second pic? Looks interesting.

Currently I use a vest and a backpack. Vest has everything I need immediately so I don't have to leave my spot in crowded situations. Backpack has my "luxury" items...food, water, biodegradable fire gel (start small fires as long as it's safe...it's cold out there!), etc.
fishing_caddy.jpg
fishing caddy 1.jpg

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:55 am

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use this. It's awesome. I've tried them all, I don't like vests. I've lost more tackle trays fumbling with stuff in the river, I leave the backpack on the bank, and it holds everything you need. Vests get heavy after a while, they drive me nuts. They also get soaked with rain, and then they get really uncomfortable. The waterproof tackle trays are excellent choices, and the upper part of the backpack fits snugly with a small drybox.