Fact or Deadly Fiction?

All things related to hunting.
needabiggerboat
Petty Officer

RE:Fact or Deadly Fiction?

Post by needabiggerboat » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Making noise is a best/first option. If attacked, I will do everything I possibly can, with whatever I have, and I will fight, or die, like a man. Enough said?

Perfectly put,
Fishing or Hunting any thing in the outdoors is what I live for.
To all, the number for poachers is on the bottom of you fishing license! Use it! They will come!

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:45 am

mallard83 wrote:I have seen on t.v. the best thing to do is give them a picnic basket and they will leave you alone. Cartoons are what happens in real life right?
Smarter than da average fisherperson, aye boo boo??

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:31 am

Yes, a bear can reach speeds over 30mph.
Do you think you can run that fast? Not a chance....
Especially when you consider uneven ground, fallen logs, etc.... I've seen bear run through woods and clearcuts--they are amazingly fast.

As for not being able to run downhill--that is also a myth. It's slightly more difficult for a bear to go downhill, but they'll still beat you to the bottom.

A grizzle usually only attack to defend their ground.
When they feel the threat is over, they lose interest and wander away....so protect your neck, lay on your stomach, and spread your legs a little. This way they can't get to your stomach, and they can't roll you over. It's also less embarrassing, as they probably won't see your teary eyes and your wet jeans.

As for a blackbear...
They don't lose interest like a grizzly will. If you're being attacked, you need to fight back.
The general rule of thumb seems to be that they go for the head. Numerous blackbear attacks have ended with crushed skulls or scalpings. You want to protect your head...the bear will likely try and put it's jaws around your skull. If it is physically able to do so (adult bear), it's strong jaws will attempt to crush you.
Fight back...eyes and nose. Don't give up.

At least, these are the things I was taught in a seminar not long ago...
Seems to be pretty much the same info you find online, on tv, etc.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:26 am

Bscman wrote:Yes, a bear can reach speeds over 30mph.
Do you think you can run that fast? Not a chance....
Especially when you consider uneven ground, fallen logs, etc.... I've seen bear run through woods and clearcuts--they are amazingly fast.

As for not being able to run downhill--that is also a myth. It's slightly more difficult for a bear to go downhill, but they'll still beat you to the bottom.

A grizzle usually only attack to defend their ground.
When they feel the threat is over, they lose interest and wander away....so protect your neck, lay on your stomach, and spread your legs a little. This way they can't get to your stomach, and they can't roll you over. It's also less embarrassing, as they probably won't see your teary eyes and your wet jeans.

As for a blackbear...
They don't lose interest like a grizzly will. If you're being attacked, you need to fight back.
The general rule of thumb seems to be that they go for the head. Numerous blackbear attacks have ended with crushed skulls or scalpings. You want to protect your head...the bear will likely try and put it's jaws around your skull. If it is physically able to do so (adult bear), it's strong jaws will attempt to crush you.
Fight back...eyes and nose. Don't give up.

At least, these are the things I was taught in a seminar not long ago...
Seems to be pretty much the same info you find online, on tv, etc.
Great info,I've heard similar from a few hunting buddies.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:02 pm

[quote="needabiggerboat"] Making noise is a best/first option. If attacked, I will do everything I possibly can, with whatever I have, and I will fight, or die, like a man. Enough said? #-o
Perfectly put, :scratch:

wow now thats a B.B.A. . id rather live to shoot the bastage and put his head on the wall

than die and leave my family thinking w.t.f. :cheers:

:viking:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”