Crawfish in the Nisqually River?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Rolltide
Angler

Crawfish in the Nisqually River?

Post by Rolltide » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm

I just recently arrived in Washington state and decided to try and catch some Crawfish in the Nisqually River which is the closest one to me. I found a small body of calm muddy water right off the bank beside the fast river and threw my trap in with some chicken livers I'm hoping i catch some any tips on different locations to try and bait to use would be awesome! Thanks

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Re: Crawfish in the Nisqually River?

Post by Mordalphus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Gotta wait for crayfish season to start first man... Doesn't start til next Monday.

Almost every river and creek in washington has crays, water is still cold though, so don't expect them to be too active.

And please read the regs. You can't be tossing your trap out there til next Monday at the earliest

NimmunDay
Petty Officer

Post by NimmunDay » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Of course there is! Basically in any river in Washington has those. The Snohomish, the Sky, the Green, the Puyallup, the Stilly, the Skagit, you name it. Ive never caught them my self, but I've seen them swimming in the jagged rocks near the banks. Good luck with the mini lobsters! :) Lol as I was typing this someone replied. [cursing]
Thank you! Come again! Image

Bustinbeats
Petty Officer

Post by Bustinbeats » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:04 pm

I've never had much luck for crawdads around here until the water really warms up . We have fun soaking traps during our summer camping excursions, but the size and quantity we catch is nothing compared to what some of those good old boys down south get .
Take what fish you can use, but use what fish you take !

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Too bad lake washington is so nasty, it's crawling with giant ones.

Last year at Martha lake near Alderwood I caught a lobster sized one while casting spoons from the dock. It was all tangled in hundreds of feet of fishing line, so I cut it free and put it back, damn thing was a foot long.

TerryBullard
Petty Officer

Post by TerryBullard » Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 am

Bustinbeats wrote:I've never had much luck for crawdads around here until the water really warms up . We have fun soaking traps during our summer camping excursions, but the size and quantity we catch is nothing compared to what some of those good old boys down south get .
Actually WA Totally kicks butt big time in what the 'Good Old Boys' can do down South in size, quantity, and quality! Here we have Pacifasticus crawfish, in the South they have Clarkii crawfish, light years of difference between the two species. If you want amazing early season hauls, hit Eastern Washington for tons of Northern crawfish, no limit for them. This will be a great year for crawfish in WA.

I've had good reports on Nisqually River but keep in mind that all rivers are late starters because of the runoff.
Terry Bullard
--
Crayfishing Made Easy
Everyone is Doing It!
Are You?

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Sat May 04, 2013 7:38 pm

^^Yeah, that's why when you go to Cabela's or wherever, the entry holes on the big brand traps are so tiny, like to small for a good sized sinal to get in.

NimmunDay
Petty Officer

Post by NimmunDay » Sat May 04, 2013 7:53 pm

TerryBullard wrote:
Bustinbeats wrote:I've never had much luck for crawdads around here until the water really warms up . We have fun soaking traps during our summer camping excursions, but the size and quantity we catch is nothing compared to what some of those good old boys down south get .
Actually WA Totally kicks butt big time in what the 'Good Old Boys' can do down South in size, quantity, and quality! Here we have Pacifasticus crawfish, in the South they have Clarkii crawfish, light years of difference between the two species. If you want amazing early season hauls, hit Eastern Washington for tons of Northern crawfish, no limit for them. This will be a great year for crawfish in WA.

I've had good reports on Nisqually River but keep in mind that all rivers are late starters because of the runoff.
Great year for Crayfish eh? LOL [laugh]
Thank you! Come again! Image