HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF BAIT(chicken)!!!??

Our hardshelled friends found here.
'OL GREY DOG
Commander

HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF BAIT(chicken)!!!??

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:42 pm

and its going to get worse...so this post might be kind of like my "how to grow your own maggots" post...lololol...

anyways here goes...may come as a shock to some but chickens dont grow in those lil styrofoam trays wraped in plastic !!!!....and those birds are pretty tasteless AND scentless...not only that but they are WAY more tender since they are butchered at 6-8 weeks old....you want tough?..you want stink?...you get yourself a old rooster(hens are ok too just not as strong smell'n).... i know..i know...wutta ordeal right??....kinda but if your not upto it your not...N/M...if your think'n ...heeyyy that wierd old guy is on to something.....then here ya go...

i have a contraption i built for butcher'n rabbits works fine for chickens...i'd bet most you dont..lolol..if your going to try it.. a way to hang them by their feet helps a lot...anything ..a board nailed between 2 trees to wire feet to or some such thing...to dispacth them you might not want to do the hack their head off and let 'em run all over thingy...might make the wife/kids/neighbors squawk ...makes for a nasty mess..dirt 'n blood 'n stuff stuck all over 'em anyway..a rookie might want to restrain the bird's body in a old towel ect..and simply slit the throat...their hearts beat reallyyy fast and it will be over pretty quick..as for the skin'n you'll need a sharp knife of course.. and a pair of kitchen shears are a big help..good thing is that your not do'n it for food so if it's a lil ugly and nicked up no big deal...then you chop it into pieces and pop it in the freezer WELL LABELED...i coarse chop the better bits of innards in the blender and freeze those in portions..work great in bait bags.....ok so maybe you dont have a old rooster run'n around or a old worn out hen...there's CL ..there's a small animal sale saturdays at YardBirds in Chehalis and at the Enumclaw cattle auction..you can buy a old rooster (or 10) for a couple buck$..might be as big as a turkey!!..GL out there..DOG

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

RE:HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF BAIT(chicken)!!!??

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sun May 01, 2011 3:32 pm

....N/C....lololol

moto
Petty Officer

Post by moto » Sun May 01, 2011 11:38 pm

where you trap cradads around here

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Mon May 02, 2011 5:46 pm

a P.S. i didnt mention the wide array of colors and paterns of feathers i got last year when i did this...i skin'd the wings down to the smallest bone/joint then clip'd it off with the shears....saved the tail.. a big hunk of the chest hide.. and the collars from a few of the "prettier 1s" and salted the wet side with seasalt...threw them in the fridge till i could get ahold of my flyfisher/friend/freak and he was thrilled to have 'em....later i scrored a big 'ol handfull of flies he'd tied...<shrugs>

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon May 02, 2011 6:27 pm

I remember as a kid, once a year my grandma "did the chickens" as she called it. She would set a couple pots of water to boil, hang 10-15 hens up on the clothesline in her back yard, head them all, bring the pots out to the back porch and whoever was around (me, my cousins) would take em down one at a time (after they stopped flapping), dip em in the hot water & feather them, then she would butcher em up and freeze them.

After everything was done, she would just turn on the sprinkler to clean up the mess.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Mon May 02, 2011 7:56 pm

lolololol ...nowa days ...she'd probably be arrested for let'n you kids even see such a horrid thing

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Shoot a squirrell and let it sit in the sun for a few days maybe a week ifin the crows and hawks dont take him. Youll soon have more maggots then you need.Dont forget to wear latex gloves while digging in the carcass.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Fri May 06, 2011 1:37 am

EEWWWW