Bass Recipes?

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
loucipher
Petty Officer

Bass Recipes?

Post by loucipher » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:58 pm

What are you favorite recipes for bass? Usually I go to my go to butter and flour, and to top it off I also fry up
some potatoes. You can also use off the shelf batter, which works great. Make sure the oil is the right temperature before you cook.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32360566/ns ... _and_wine/

I've been know to fillet and fry right on the deck, weather and waves permitting of course. It works best is you use EVOO.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Bass Recipes?

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:16 pm

I used to eat bass but no longer. I treat them as a game fish now and release them.But when I did eat them it was fried like a perch.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

loucipher
Petty Officer

Post by loucipher » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:36 pm

racfish wrote:I used to eat bass but no longer. I treat them as a game fish now and release them.But when I did eat them it was fried like a perch.
why the change of heart???

MaxExp82
Petty Officer

Post by MaxExp82 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:24 am

Prolly because Perch and Crappie taste as good if not better, and don't take 10 years to get big...

Bassin253
Petty Officer

Post by Bassin253 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:39 pm

racfish wrote:I used to eat bass but no longer. I treat them as a game fish now and release them.But when I did eat them it was fried like a perch.
im with him throw them back

uncyboo
Petty Officer

Post by uncyboo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:45 am

Hey loucipher I'll contribute before these guys beat you into submission. I don't keep alot of bass but if I'm catching dink after dink I might keep a couple, especially for the wife. She seems to like them better than the Crappie or Perch. I'm the other way around, but there's no denying, small bass are good table fare. I will typically shake them up in a bag of flour, corn meal, garlic powder, pepper, and seasoned salt and deep fry in peanut oil. However, my wife has taken a few and wrapped in foil with butter, lemon pepper, parsley and a sliver of onion and thrown them on the campfire or grill when camping. They are outstanding that way too. Being hardcore from the south it was hard to admit that fish cooked any other way than fried was good, but she hit a homerun a couple of times with the foil/fire trick. 8 - 10 inchers are best for me. I'll turn all the others loose, unless they are deep hooked.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:10 am

When I do keep bass, they are almost always smallies and we treat them just like perch, crappie, etc. You have to thin the heard every once in a while. Put them on ice right away, fillet them and fry up using your favorite batter or breading. I haven't tried baking or poaching them like we used to do with true cod, I'll have to give it a try. I'm partial to dill, paprika and garlic as seasonings to use when preparing most any type of fish.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:21 am

He wants RECIPIES, not your opinion or C&R. Lets not beat this topic to death too.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Bread them in cormeal and or flour and fry. Bass have to be at least 8'' to keep.I hope dinks are at least that.With me he gets both a recipe and my opinion .Dont like dont read.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:23 pm

the wife and i like the crushed cracker and egg, fried in about 1" of crisco. great on all spinny-rays, walleye, pike. crush'd fine it works well with trout.

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:27 pm

gpc wrote:He wants RECIPIES, not your opinion or C&R. Lets not beat this topic to death too.
I have a good recipe around here for Troll Souffle.
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

uncyboo
Petty Officer

Post by uncyboo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:01 am

AaronE wrote:I have a good recipe around here for Troll Souffle.
Now that's funny....:thumright

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

AaronE wrote:
gpc wrote:He wants RECIPIES, not your opinion or C&R. Lets not beat this topic to death too.
I have a good recipe around here for Troll Souffle.
Sounds good, whats the recipe call for....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:42 pm

a good dose of suspended belief.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:23 am

To Funny!

I dont eat much freshwater fish but when camping we will cook with butter and garlic and just a light sprinkle of flower, add a lil salt and pepper to taste.

I also like a few of the breading offerings at the store, a lil bit of Cajun spice on it then pan fry... deeeelish.

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 am

In all seriousness (betcha never thought you'd hear me say that), the best way I've found to prepare freshwater bass is quite simple. I don't even bother with the filet knife.

Take 2 bass (10-12" is perfect), clean as you normally would but don't filet. Line an aluminum or glass casserole dish with foil, place the fish in the foil dorsal side down, and place 2 tablespoons of butter in the center of each fish. Add lemon slices to your taste, and sprinkle your favorite seasonings - Lowry's, Cajun blackened redfish, black pepper, paprika, and a little Greek seasoning are my faves.

Fold the foil above the fish like a tent and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350.

The meat will literally fall off the bones and is perfectly flakey. This is a great way to BBQ fish as well, since all you technically need is an open fire and aluminum foil (but don't cook for nearly as long over open flame).
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:04 pm

AaronE wrote:In all seriousness (betcha never thought you'd hear me say that), the best way I've found to prepare freshwater bass is quite simple. I don't even bother with the filet knife.

Take 2 bass (10-12" is perfect), clean as you normally would but don't filet. Line an aluminum or glass casserole dish with foil, place the fish in the foil dorsal side down, and place 2 tablespoons of butter in the center of each fish. Add lemon slices to your taste, and sprinkle your favorite seasonings - Lowry's, Cajun blackened redfish, black pepper, paprika, and a little Greek seasoning are my faves.

Fold the foil above the fish like a tent and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350.

The meat will literally fall off the bones and is perfectly flakey. This is a great way to BBQ fish as well, since all you technically need is an open fire and aluminum foil (but don't cook for nearly as long over open flame).
makes me want to get a limit of bass and try it:chef: =p~ 8-[ o:)

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”