Share Your Favorite Smelt Recipe

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
sthrcave
Petty Officer

Share Your Favorite Smelt Recipe

Post by sthrcave » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:38 pm

I didn't get a chance to get any smelt, but I am curious how you all like to prepare them. Maybe seeing all of these recipes will help me prepare for next year.

Thanks!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Share Your Favorite Smelt Recipe

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:16 pm

I would use the same recipie I use for every fish I catch.
Catch one fish, combine with one or 2 photographs and mix gently with a big handfull of "Let that sucker go"! =D>
I looooove to catch fish but I don't eat em. Hopefully someone else will be more helpfull to you than I was. LOL.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 am

I eat smelt a couple ways. My favorite is a flour ,egg wash ,flour again and fry . Fried smelt are awesome. I clean the larger ones but fry the smaller ones whole. If you get a female with roe its a bonus. After frying I split them down the back and eat the meat leaving the skeletor remains. If frying fish is not your thing then I poach smelt also using a heavy skillet . Place the smelt in the pan with butter white wine and lemon juice. Boil for a few minutes then Voila. One other way is to smoke them. With the remainding smelt I freeze them and use for Salt water fishing when no Herring are around.

sthrcave
Petty Officer

Post by sthrcave » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:45 am

Fried smelt sound tasty. I have heard that once fried you can pull the heads of the smaller ones off and the entrails go with the head then you can just pop the rest into your mouth bones and all. I've never tried it though.

In Alaska we used to get huge runs of smelt and I'd always net a few to be brined and used as bait. Sometimes we would use live ones as bait as well. They're a bit tougher than herring and the butts and lings loved them.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 pm

We always pan fried them with corn oil with a little bit of sesame oil. Taste like heaven! The females are the best with the creamy eggs that pop like little salty capsules of yum. Oh man, now I gotta go jig up some smelt! When is La Conners smelt derby? Did that already happen?

kingroobes
Petty Officer

Post by kingroobes » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:28 pm

I've heard they are excellent brined and smoked whole, due to the high fat content. Then again what isn't good smoked
"I'm the best mayne, I deed it"-Eli

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”