I'll take "light boats for $1000", Alex

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Dustin07
Commodore

I'll take "light boats for $1000", Alex

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:59 am

I currently have a 10' aluminimum boat that I typically throw in back of my truck to haul around. it's a PITA though to do, especially with 1 person. so i only go with a partner. I want something I can easily hitch up to the wrangler and dump into one of the local small lakes (like sawyer, 12, tapps, etc) and possibly duck hunt out of (kapowsin, moses, maybe some puget sound shorelines).

I am kind of shopping that $1,000 range becuase it seems like the occasional hot deal comes up for a 12' or so aluminum with trailer, motor, etc.

I have an electric troller, but wouldn't mind a nice minn kota, or small gas.

What do you guys think, any ideas or tips? What all should I expect out of a $1k boat? for big water we typically use my Dad's lund, so he's got the fancy bells and whistles, i'm just looking for something comfortable a 1 guy show can operate.

was looking at these:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/1266987382.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/1263606831.html

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

RE:I'll take "light boats for $1000", Alex

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:46 pm

on the first choice I'm not a big fan of Ted Williams motors... kinda old.

2nd choice... guy doesn't have the title so who really owned/s the trailer. watch out.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Good point on the 2nd one, I forgot that I had nixed that one for that same reason.

on the first one... the motor... <shrug> since I'm looking for a small lake hopper, something I can push around with my electric troller is fine too.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Have you considered a SOT kayak? You can get one, set it up, and still be out less than $1K leaving more money for tackle! :cheers: I've been doing it for about two years and absolutely love it.

If you are curious, check out http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:50 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote:Have you considered a SOT kayak? You can get one, set it up, and still be out less than $1K leaving more money for tackle! :cheers: I've been doing it for about two years and absolutely love it.

If you are curious, check out http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com
Never even thought about this. So how is trolling with a yak? What type of fish have you fished for in your yak?

Dustin, if you want somehting that can go in the salt, then you are going to want a small gas motor. JMHO:alien:

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:51 pm

I've seen his kayak and can vouch that it is the Shiznit,:bounce: or whatever... I would seriously do some research on this sort of thing. There is a great you tube video on kayak fishing from on the Oregon coast, lings etc.
I just came from REI tonight. They have two of them outside the main door on clearance, I think it was called the Big Yak? About 600 bucks, on clearance for $299.00

ZyS4K4J-7N8

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/single ... g_yak.html

No idear if this is ideal for fishing, but Eastside Redneck can chime in.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:44 pm

Why replace your 10footer if it's working well for you? You can buy a NEW galvanized trailer for $700ish if you shop around. Nice aluminum trailers start around $800ish. That'd save you a couple hundred to throw at boat upgrades.
A good aluminum or galvanized trailer will hold it's value for several years if well-maintained.

A cheaper option...
My buddy has a harbor freight special...he bought with a coupon for ~$260. It's a painted trailer, and he had to assemble it himself, but it serves the purpose well and has held up to moderate use pretty well for the few years he's had it. The only downfall is the SMALL tires, so it's best kept to local trips.

As for $1,000 used boat/trailer/motor combos...
Keep looking and have a cell phone handy--the nice ones sell FAST. Most of them for $1,000 or less are pretty rough (JUNK).

I looked for a LONGGG time for a boat/trailer/motor combo for ~$1,000 and finally sucked it up and spent a little more.
For $1,000 all the boats I was seeing had cheap camo paintjobs, rotted transoms, OLDDDDDDD motors, and pretty much every one I found seeped or were OVERED in silicone. Add another $500 or so and you can actually find some pretty nice boats.

One thing is always true about boats...you always seem to want to upgrade.
Why buy a $1,000 "junker" combo to fish with this year, just to find yourself wanting to upgrade next season?

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:58 pm

No trolling motor needed for the salt, just a Subway footlong :thumleft:

Personally, I've done just about everything basswise, trolled for trout, hunted the mighty sturgeon, and jigged for rockfish & lings. Many of my fellow yakfishermen on http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com and http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com have done much, much more out of their yaks... from trolling for salmon with downriggers to taking down salmon sharks and halibut. The key is mating skill and experience with a healthy respect for your limitations and environment around you.

I would reccommend staying away from the Big Yak if you are serious about fishing from it in anything but a pond. From Ocean Kayak I'd check out the Caper, Prowler 13, Trident 13, Scrambler, or Scupper Pro. The Hobie Mirage series yaks are pretty slick too although are pretty spendy. Malibu also has some good offerings like the Mini-X and the X-factor. Save yourself the cash and don't buy the angler models from OK- you can easily set them up the way YOU want them for much less than the premium they charge and get a more comfortable seat.

I promise you one thing- Fishing from a kayak will change your whole perspective on fishing.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:14 am

I recently started trolling from my Kayak. You can check my Alder Lake report from yesterday to see how it went :cheers:

Best thing about Kayaks is not worrying about gas, engine repairs, etc. It's also a much more peaceful and relaxing experience.
Lee

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:23 am

This weekend I took my father in laws 12FT out to Conconully with a merc 9.9. It was a GREAT setup. that extra 2FT on the boat makes a huge difference for comfort (mostly width) and that 9.9 was a great motor. I could just barely get up on plane, although I'd like a slightly bigger one.... for fun :P

i think he paid $900 for his setup, but bought it from a friend. He recently bought a Smokercraft 16FT though and said he might sell me his 12FT setup (with trailer).

I'll look at the Kayaks, but I don't really think its my thing. They definitely have some percs, but an old 10' or 12' aluminum boat seems more versatile.

although most of my examples (such as duck hunting) could actually be done from a kayak too.... so perhaps...

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Did you see this post?
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... on-99.aspx
A bit over your range, but sounds like a good boat for the dough.
Gary

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:55 pm

no I didn't, thanks!