Pontoon trolling motor set-ups.

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
DannyHoey
Angler

Pontoon trolling motor set-ups.

Post by DannyHoey » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:42 pm

I am going to try to set up a electric trolling motor on my 7 1/2' pontoon, if possible. Is anyone trying this right now? And if so do you have any advice on how to go about it, or pictures would be even better. I also have to add a pole holder up front and somekind of tray on the back for the battery and tackle boxes.

Thanks, Danny

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:Pontoon trolling motor set-ups.

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:51 pm

If possible, you will want to move your seat frame as far forward as you can. Especially on a 7 1/2 footer. The rear platform should probably be used for the battery, and if you can put it in a plastic waterproof bin, all the better. Batteries are heavy and an electric trolling motor is just more weight behind the seat. Good luck with what ever you try. Somewhere I think I've seen separate flotation donuts designed just for the battery. That may be something you would want to look into.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

DannyHoey
Angler

Post by DannyHoey » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:02 pm

I have a metal bin, out of my freezer lol, that fits perfectly between the frame rails that I am pretty sure would do for the battery. My main hang up is where and how to mount the trolling motor. I want it in front of me, between my seat and footrests, but i will have to fab some kind of bracket to clamp the motor to. Maybe a wood 2x4 or a piece of flat iron bolted between the frame rails. I guess that is my main question, has anyone fabricated such a bracket or has a pontoon that has came with one.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:43 am

I have a Sportsmans Warehouse 10' toon (made by Outcast) that I use with a Minn Kota 40. My toon has a metal tray behind the seat that my battery box sets on. My frame also has a motor mount plate and anchor pulley also in the back. I have doubts about mounting a motor in front of the seating position. It would seem like a big safety issue. The electric motor props may be plastic but I wouldn't want to even consider the damage to the anatomy if you stood up without turning off the motor. Also you should use a plastic battery box to keep water away from the terminals.
Life's short - fish hard!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:56 pm

I'm with you Wolverine I have the same toon as you do with a wire basket and a transom on it for my 36lb thrust Min-kota.I added an extension arm to my motor so I dont have to reach back which is heck on my neck and back,I too have my battery in a box with a cover to keep it from getting wet.The big thing on my trolling motor is in the manual it says you can run at full throttle for so many hours..Thats a lie.Or at least with me it was.I soon had a dead battery and rowed back from where I motored to.
My question is can foot pedal be submerged and still work?I have two foot rest bars on my toon.Can I hook up the pedal system to one of them?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:20 pm

i put a bar on the stirrups up front and the battery behind me. it works great. my boat has been heavly modifyed the middle photo in the finished product, except for the seat which is mounted in the same spot as before.the standing bar went away. oh yeah no more waders and no sore back. and then you need a toon toter to get it all there. good luck if you have any Q's pm or email me.

:viking:
Attachments
toontoter.jpg
toontoter.jpg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
standing.jpg
standing.jpg (144.93 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
motor_mount.jpg
motor_mount.jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

DannyHoey
Angler

Post by DannyHoey » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:41 am

Racfish, is the extension handle positioned over your head? I like the idea of having it in front so i don't have to reach behind me to steer or change speeds. The foot pedal is a great idea, if it works. VHMLLC, that is a great idea having the mount on the end of the foot pegs. I guess i'll have to get a different trolling motor because i have a real old johnson with about a six inch handle on it and i doubt they make extension of them.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am

Unfortunately no its not.Its behind me which makes it extremely dificult to turn aroud without ducking or sliding around,but I needed something to not have me reach behind me which hurts.It was a fix that was better then the before but still not what I wanted.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:28 pm

i use a minn kota 30# with a sealed battery from costco. i can go all day and not tap even a 1/4 of the battery, and thats towing the second boat.

Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:18 pm

:thumleft: You can really get a bunch of stuff on one of those little toons and tubes. I spose I'll have to get one some time.
Attachments
croft.jpg
croft.jpg (47.51 KiB) Viewed 2540 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:38 am

This site has some different configurations to look at ... for example ... http://www.bass-n-tubes.com/gallery/rigging/rigged
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:17 pm

good gravy man , how many rods can they use at one time? some of those boats are an accident waiting to happen. wow.#-o

Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

DannyHoey
Angler

Post by DannyHoey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:54 pm

I kinda like the idea of the rod holders. It is always nice when switching from trolling to fishing off bottom. It's crazy the amount of stuff people put on a little pontoon boat. The live wells are just over the top.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:04 pm

i agree they are one reel away from sinking. way to funny.:cheers:
Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:35 pm

Just make sure you dont take that extra hook in the tackle box or your are going under. They are doing some crazy things on their toons. Fishing collectors cartoon is right on ... LOL.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.