fish finders

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
sickbayer
Commodore

fish finders

Post by sickbayer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:48 pm

Ive been checking out fish finders and holy cow they are so many more to when I got my last one a few years back. so question what do you guys have in your boat what are the pros and cons of the model and would you buy it again?

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: fish finders

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:30 pm

I currently have a Humminbird 598 ci SI HD. Its a 5" screen GPS chartplotter/sounder that does traditional sonar (fish arches) as well as downscan and sidescan. I like it a lot and it works very well for the money we spent at the time. I think it was around $700 on sale about 3 years ago.

The sidescan is especially cool for finding structure out to the sides of the boat. Its also good for spotting bait balls out to the sides. Fish don't show up very well due to the scaling unless they are pretty big or close in, so sidescan is mostly for finding structure. I don't find the downscan all that useful but its there as an option. The traditional sonar works well too. We upgraded the transducer last spring and it works even better now.

It does all the normal chart plotter stuff like waypoints, routes, tracks etc plus we have the nav/depth charts for the coatal waters and Puget Sound as well as most of the lakes in Wa state. It will also interface with a DSC VHF radio for most of the basic DSC functions.

The only real downside to the unit is the size of the screen.

I'd highly recommend you get the largest screen you can possibly afford and maybe even stretch your budget to go one size larger than you think you will "need" . You wont regret it.

Last month we decided to upgrade. Mostly because of the small screen, plus some awesome new Garmin tech that just came out last year and a nice bonus my bro got,

We just ordered a Garmin 7610 10" touch screen with a chirp/traditional/downscan/sidescan transom transducer and one of Garmins new Panoptix forward view transducers to mount on the trolling motor. The 7610 is an awesome unit to play with and has way more features than we really need.

Some of the best features to me are that you can plug in your underwater camera and see it on the big screen at the same time you are looking at the sonar. We also ordered the cables to show all the engine data from our Yamaha F115 in the screen if we want - fuel consumption, rpm, water temp, oil pressure, trim angle, hours etc. Right now all we have is an analogue tach. Plus I really love the touch screen.

But the Panoptix is the cats meow as far as fish finding technology. Its the main reason we are going Garmin.

With the Panoptix option we are getting (PS21), the boat can be sitting dead in the water and you can pan the trolling motor in a circle and see fish swimming in the water in real time anywhere you point the transducer out to 150-200 feet or so. The ducer has a compass built in so you can see on your chart plotter exactly which way its pointing so you know where to go to get to the fish. You can also see your lure coming towards the boat and watch fish go for it - or ignore it - again in real time. Its like playing a video game. We cant wait to give it a try.

Its not cheep though. The package we got came in around $3700 after discounts. Retail is around $4400.

Locally, the best prices Ive found are at Sportco but they don't have a huge selection. You can beet their pricing by a good bit by shopping online but you have to email the guys to get the "real" prices. They are not allowed to advertise anything other than retail.

Id go to Sportco and to BassPro and West Marine and Cabellas and play with different models. They all have simulator modes that will let you push the buttons and see what happens and show you pretty pics on the screens. Then pic out a couple of different ones you think you want and then go online and look for reviews and user reports. You can find lots of real world info and user reports on sites like The Hull Truth, BBCboards, IBoats, etc.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing prices - check to see whats included and whats NOT included. Things that may or may not be in the package are transducers and charts! Those items can cost hundreds extra.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:40 am

I would also add that I think Humminbird is probably the best bang for the buck in the under $1200 range. On the higher end, they are all good but Garmin is the only one that has Panoptix.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:14 am

Larry3215 wrote:I would also add that I think Humminbird is probably the best bang for the buck in the under $1200 range. On the higher end, they are all good but Garmin is the only one that has Panoptix.
I would add that Garmin has the best mapping by far as that's where they started and is still their bread and butter.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:36 pm

Panoptix, wow that does sound the dogs bollocks! going to have to check them out.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:03 pm

wow it is the dogs bollocks, I just looked at the garmin website saw their video, I'm inpressed I really think about that if I were a bass fisherman. but at that cost it is almost the cost of a TR1 auto pilot.

namaycush
Petty Officer

Post by namaycush » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Furuno has won many accolades with NMEA, here is the link.

http://www.furunousa.com/Company/NMEA_Awards.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
looker9.jpg
A screen shot from my Furuno 1670F, made in Italy, of a large lake trout inspecting a ZZinger in 106 FOW.
Settings: White Line, auto gain 2+, BL 30' window, and LF

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:18 pm

sickbayer wrote:wow it is the dogs bollocks, I just looked at the garmin website saw their video, I'm inpressed I really think about that if I were a bass fisherman. but at that cost it is almost the cost of a TR1 auto pilot.
Its not cheep for sure. The PS21 I'm getting only does live vue forward - that's all I want - and retails for $999 all by itself. I got mine for $850 which seems to be about the lowest discounted price. I also wanted that one because its a LOT smaller than the other Panoptix ducers.

You can mate it up to one of their EchoMap Chirp 73sv 7" screen models for around $850 list. You should be able to find that one for about $750 or less. That includes a transom mount CHIRP transducer that does downscan and side scan. It also comes with built in US lake maps and is NMEA 2000 ready.

You can even go a little lower if your willing to give up sidescan. I wouldn't do that though. Sidescan is too useful.

Check YouTube for Panoptix videos from actual users - not promo videos from Garmin. They will blow your mind!

namaycush
Petty Officer

Post by namaycush » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:33 pm

For the 1670f, I paid $503 at Hodges marine minus a $200 rebate and the 600w transducer $100, so total was $403 for the package. The 1670f also can use a 600w or a 1KW transducer. I think the future for FF will be a complete live screen like the Panoptix by Garmin instead of only the very right hand side of the screen.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:58 pm

namaycush wrote:For the 1670f, I paid $503 at Hodges marine minus a $200 rebate and the 600w transducer $100, so total was $403 for the package. The 1670f also can use a 600w or a 1KW transducer. I think the future for FF will be a complete live screen like the Panoptix by Garmin instead of only the very right hand side of the screen.
I think you're right about that. A few more years and everyone will have something like Panoptix.

buzzbob
Petty Officer

Post by buzzbob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:51 pm

Most sonar companies make larger screens by extending the dimensions horizontally instead of vertically. Sitex imports an awesome FF from S Korea by Haiyang called SVS 760F. It has a vertical orientation with 800 x 480 pixels (7.5" tall) There is also a GPS combo unit. It has a fish size indicator similar to Furuno Accu-Fish and a card slot to record sonar. Sitex also imports models CV 126 and 128 made by Koden with sona-tone and both are vertically oriented. The 128 iuses either a 600w or 1 kW transducer.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:35 pm

The first sonar I owned was a Sitex. It actually had a cathode ray tube instead of a flat screen! I thought it was awesome at the time.

I actually went back and forth on that same issue of screen orientation. I think that its going to depend on the type of sonar you use the most. For straight down traditional sonar or downscan, the taller screen would be best. However, if you are going to be using sidescan or the new Panoptix forward scan, you really want the screen as wide as possible so you're not cramming large distances into too small a space to see any details.

On the other hand, if you do a lot of split screen work, then a more square screen might be better.

I finally decided I was more interested in other features and if I wanted Panoptix, I didn't really have a choice anyway.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:27 am

I agree biggest screen you can afford is important and how viewable it is in daylight if no roof. And how water proof it is. This looks a good deal http://www.cabelas.com/product/garmin-r ... h%2Bfinder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:59 am

That's on sale because Garmin is coming out with the new units at the same price BUT they also have CHIRP and they can use the Panoptix ducers.

The one on sale wont connect to a Panoptix unless you add another $500 adaptor gizmo. Retail on the new versions is still that same as last years version - $1199.

So if you want Paonptix, that one is not a good deal. If you don't want Panoptix, its a great deal - but check online. You should be able to get the same price with no shipping and NO sales tax :)

You should be able to get the new version - shipping in 2 or 3 weeks - for about $1000 on-line - plus no shipping and no sales tax. The no sales tax part will make it about the same price as this years version at Cabelas :)

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:04 am

Better hurry of you want one like the add at Cabelas though. Ive heard they are going very fast and they are not making any more, so its a stock on hand situation. Those were a very popular choice because they are one of the best values for a 9" screen.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:15 pm

I'm all for online bargains Larry I found my last TR1 for 1600 bucks online. What is the newer version of the link I sent you?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:08 pm

Here are all the new EchoMap Chirp version. List $$ is the same as last year for most of them but lots of new features. The new versions are due to start shipping late this month or early Feb depending on the model.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/echoMAP ... 00-p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the website where I ordered my setup. Call or email Brian for the "real" prices. He is only allowed to advertise MRP.

http://bbgmarine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His phone and email addresses are on the contact page. Tell him Larry sent you :)

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:15 pm

By the way, the GT52 chirp transducer that comes with these is reported to work very well from what I have read. Its new too.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:21 pm

I almost forgot about this thread.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-elec ... e-buy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It lists several other online vendors that should also give discounts. I only contacted two or three of them (I ordered before I found that thread) and prices were about the same or a hair higher than what Brian quoted me, but it might be worth making some extra calls/emails just to be sure you get the best deal.

By the way, the EchoMap CHIRP 93sv is the model we almost bought, but the touch screen won my brother over so we spent the extra for the GPSMap 7610 xsv.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:28 pm

I think about touch screen and then I think smelly jelly on my fingers lol. But then again touch screen has less places for water to get in. Thanks for the links.