Lost poles and tackle

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Jordan50
Angler

Lost poles and tackle

Post by Jordan50 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:05 am

I was fishing with a friend of mine yesterday when our small fishing boat capsized. I lost four fishing poles and two small tackled holders. The water was freezing. We got to shore as quick as possible and weren't able to get the stuff we lost because of the cold temperature. Does anyone have an idea of how to try to get the stuff back?

Adam B.
Petty Officer

Re: Lost poles and tackle

Post by Adam B. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:46 pm

Have a friend with scuba gear go search around for it? It also depends on how deep the lake is or if there happens to be any kind of current. If so, might be better off to just get new stuff. If it isn't that deep, try taking a grappling hook attatched to a rope and drag it over the spot you might have dropped everything. Not sure you would snag the tackle box but probably at least the poles.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:57 pm

I read sorta kinda recently in the past year that you might get the rods by using a fish stringer.

Get the kind that has the metal clip for each fish.

Open each clip

tie to a rod with strong line

drag and hope.

Maybe if the tackle boxes have enough steel in them, a big magnet can get them. You can get them from Bass Pro Shops or Cabella's. I forget where I got mine, been many years. It measures about 6" by 2" by a couple inches tall/thick.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Amx wrote:I read sorta kinda recently in the past year that you might get the rods by using a fish stringer.

Get the kind that has the metal clip for each fish.

Open each clip

tie to a rod with strong line

drag and hope.

Maybe if the tackle boxes have enough steel in them, a big magnet can get them. You can get them from Bass Pro Shops or Cabella's. I forget where I got mine, been many years. It measures about 6" by 2" by a couple inches tall/thick.
Magnets at Harbor Freight.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:52 pm

I would suggest the grappling hook too. You could make one simply with small diameter rebar from Lowes or Home Depot.