Drift boat repairs

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
primetime
Commander

Drift boat repairs

Post by primetime » Wed May 20, 2015 10:32 pm

Looking if for some suggestions with a drift boat repair. I think it's just cosmetic. But Any advice from drift boat owners would be great. I am planning on using some fiber glass repair.
Attachments
image.jpg

spoonman
Captain

Re: Drift boat repairs

Post by spoonman » Thu May 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Dont know much about fiberglass. But i would think you would definitely want to seal it up. I would think just the patch stuff would work fine. Is that on the chine primetime? Did you do it or was it already there? I remember when i put a nice golf ball sized dent in the chi e of my Wooldridge, it was a constant reminder of a bad day.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Thu May 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Ya it's on the bottom side of it. I bought a patch kit that I'm gonna use. It's not bad just something I don't want to get worse. But ya I did it. Had two other big guys in the boat and my turn was a little sluggish. It's not the biggest drift boat. I redeemed myself though and we caught 7 wild steelies that day haha.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Thu May 21, 2015 6:48 pm

Here's one them.
Attachments
image.jpg

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri May 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I would patch with a fiberglass patch and paint to match. If you do it right, you won't even be able to tell it's there. I'd fix it, before it gets bigger.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sat May 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Most repairs I've seen are people cutting out the fiberglass and patching that way. I feel like mine isn't that bad. Could I just patch it without cutting into my boat?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon May 25, 2015 9:04 pm

I'd certainly give that a try first if you want. I've done it on one of my old floaters, it didn't look the best that way though. Someone with more experience would know better than me.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 pm

primetime wrote:Here's one them.
I probably hit the same rock that day/week too haha... Things were so low this winter, some you just had to hit ;)
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri May 29, 2015 9:05 am

Can't tell by the pic, is that wood? Were are you at? Repair should be pretty easy regardless of material. I've fixed many boats. Just need some more info. Neither wood or fiberglass are water proof, so the first chore is making sure it's bone dry before you do anything to it. Seal in any water and the trouble begins.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

billa98272
Petty Officer

Post by billa98272 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:38 am

if you dont replace the damaged fibers it likely will crack in the same spot. the good news is, fiberglass is cloth and glue basically. So if you screw it up, cut it out and do it again... Or patch it and then in off season send it to a fiberglass shop for a pro repair. Where are you located?

billa98272
Petty Officer

Post by billa98272 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:42 am

Oh and no that damage is not just cosmetic. Anytime you get into the fiberglass, it needs to be sealed. Fiberglass will absorb water then in the winter if it freezes it will expand and cause further damage. Think of putting a can of soda in the freezer, needs to be and least sealed. Take a file and gently remove any dirty material, wipe with acetone, paint over damage with fiberglass resin at the least.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:51 am

That was a bad hit if it did that much to the boat. If I had it I would grind that spot out and check for any cracking going anywere, then start cutting and laying fiberglass over the spot until its flush with the rest of the boat. Then you need to gel coat or paint over it to seal it and keep water out.

A half @$$ repair will work for now, but if that spot is damaged it will weaken over time and the next big hit is probably gonna but some water in the boat.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:10 am

Lots of speculation and we still don't know if it's wood or glass. Either would be an easy fix. The only start is to get it dry and prepped. Next step is to pick materials. Not all resin stick to other resins. The correct choice is the difference between doing it once or do it again and again.
On the other hand it sounded as if he had already chosen a patch kit and the repair is probably already done.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

billa98272
Petty Officer

Post by billa98272 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:33 pm

Good point also on drying out. There is a test and you can Google it, tap it with a US quarter. Tap on a known good spot and listen, then tap the damaged area and start tapping out and Mark with a sharpie. You can tell difference between good material and damaged material. Use West Systems 105 Epoxy. Epoxy stick to polyester better then poly to poly repair.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:10 am

billa98272 wrote:Good point also on drying out. There is a test and you can Google it, tap it with a US quarter. Tap on a known good spot and listen, then tap the damaged area and start tapping out and Mark with a sharpie. You can tell difference between good material and damaged material. Use West Systems 105 Epoxy. Epoxy stick to polyester better then poly to poly repair.
Yep I concur.