Replacing boat seats

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
steelhead597
Petty Officer

Replacing boat seats

Post by steelhead597 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi all. I have a 16 ft Beachcraft I bought from the harbor master in Des Moines recently and I want to take out the factory original back to back seats and replace them with two pedestal mounted seats in front for more comfort but mostly to gain some real estate to walk around and play a fish.
Has anyone done this themselves and or have any advice, this will be my first attempt at changing out seats and mounts.
I have purchased two of the higher end Attwood helm seats now just need to decide on the pedestals and get them changed out.
I am thinking about whether I should I add about a 1/2 inch plywood base between the pedestal and the floor for a little added protection for the floor and strength.
Will adding the buffer help in any way?
I have read online that toggle bolts are the best way to go for securing the pedestal base, thoughts?
Lastly any opinions on adjustable height pedestal -vs fixed height?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Replacing boat seats

Post by Bodofish » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:04 pm

If you can get the floor up, I would use blind nuts and for sure double up on the floor if you can.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

steelhead597
Petty Officer

Post by steelhead597 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks for the assist bodo

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:42 pm

I replaced the seats on my ranger bass boat. I was able to reach under the front casting deck to the bolts for the pedestal base. When installing the new seat I added piece of 1/8" steel plate under the floor and then added 3/4" plywood to the top. The casting deck was getting soft and I felt it needed beefed up. Make sure to seal around the bolts to keep the water from rotting the deck. I am sure that's what happened to mine. [angry] I would also recommend getting an adjustable height post. Its a convenience that worth the extra money. If you get a fixed post that's too short or too tall you will not be comfortable or happy with them. Hope this helps and good luck with your project. [thumbsup]
Any time fishing is time well spent.