Manual Downrigger survey

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Anglinarcher
Admiral

Re: Manual Downrigger survey

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:36 pm

beemer1954 wrote:If it isn't too late, save a few more dollars and get an electric. Over the long haul, your shoulder and elbow will appreciate it. I had two electric Scotty's and I wouldn't use anything else. They were always dependable and worked without problems. Just think of manually cranking up a 10 to 12 pound ball 50+ times a day out on the Sound when you're fishing down 200 to 300 feet or more. It's your choice but I think most people would say to get an electric if at all possible. Good fishing and stay dry.
Been there, done that.

SADSACK
Angler

Post by SADSACK » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:08 am

I have the cheapo 1040s,work fine for me. But I only use them in 10 to 40'. Had them out in Lk Chelan a few times and sufferd a bad bout of sorearm.
I use fish ons mounted just forward of the rigger,seems to work well for me.Won a Walker at a raffel years ago and the line counter fell off the first time i used it.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:08 am

I've used a pair of electrics since late 2002. When you are in a school of salmon the electrics really come into their own. You can push the button to wind the cable up and fight the salmon at the same time. Or you can leave the cable down while fighting and hope your fish doesn't wind around it.... or... you can leave the rod in the holder while winding the cable up and hope the fish doesn't come unpinned... or best of all you can have your buddy wind cable up while you fight the fish.

Short answer is electrics are the better way to go. I wouldn't like winding up 150' of cable by hand if I was fishing deep for kings or 180' if I was fishing Chelan for lake trout.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:40 am

Worse yet, Chelan Lake Trout are often deeper and you are within a few feet of bottom.

A lot of balls are lost when they are left while fighting Chelan fish.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:30 pm

There has been mention of the Scotty manual or electric downrigger being a pain when paying out line. Due to the breaking system. I own a Scotty electric and a cannon manual versions. Have used Penn Electrics. I take both out fishing with me. But one is a back up when I solo fish. I use the Electric one exclusively. Yes the line can rap the spool, yes the brake line pay out brake takes some getting used too, but is quick to master. The Scotty Electric has a adjustable brake for the size of weight being used. So the brake will not slip out line when the ball is at depth. But will slip, as designed, if snagged on something. The manual version of Quad's, I don't think has the adjustable brake tension knob, but did have built in drag like a reel would. I bought my Scotty used. Had no idea what kind of warrantee it had. Called John's in Everett for the repair, after I owned it for 5 years. Asked how much to expect and when to pick it up. I think 4 or 5 days later it was done. Repair was free, lifetime warrentee. I had a faulty up switch. Under the lid, there is a comical, emergency handle for manual cranking the Electric model. I would not want to have to use it. Luckily the switch would always finish the job with minor monkeying.

The Penn's are nice. Heavy duty. But not as popular. Not to certain there is local authorized repair services, like Cannon and Scotty. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Scotty or Cannon again. But the Penn appeals to a eclectic group.