High Quality Trolling Battery?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
hewesfisher
Admiral

RE:High Quality Trolling Battery?

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:14 pm

I have to agree with the others Toni, it sounds like a maintenance issue with your battery. Trojan does make a very good battery, so if it went dead after 2 years I'd have to suspect it wasn't a deep cycle, or if it was, using it as a start battery will kill it. Charging/maintenance could have been factors as well. I posted a couple good links earlier so take a look at some of the info there.

When choosing a battery for your boat, dedicated trolling motor in this case, all that matters in the purchase decision is what you get for the money you spend, assuming of course, quality is equal. I already gave a good example between a Cabela's battery and the Optima, and for $20 less money, I get almost an hour more reserve capacity. A little easier to make a decision that way than simply looking at "similar" batteries without knowing their actual performance numbers. To decide between the LS battery and Sears, you need to know what type each battery is and what its reserve capacity is. Once you know that, you are now comparing apples to apples. :thumright

Warranty is a non-issue to me, if a battery is going to fail due to manufacturing defects, it's usually going to do so within a year, year and a half or less. All battery mfr's know this and that's one reason why battery warranties are short. The other reason is they have no control over how the battery is cared for once it's sold, so they limit their exposure through shorter warranty periods.

I've had numerous DieHard RV/Marine batteries in the past, and they always died hard early. No more for me. [-(
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:18 pm

I've been buying a lot of deep cycle batteries from batteries plus. Check them out. you won't get the optima or trojan stamp, but their batteries do the same thing for a lot less.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

02bluestang
Angler

Post by 02bluestang » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:56 am

I have an Optima D34 deep cycle marine battery....works great with a Minn Kota Endura 45. Also have the Minn Kota charger that you posted...easy to use, quick recharge.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:45 pm

The best price I've seen was at White Elephant in Spokane Valley. @ $65 and no core deposit.
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:14 pm

Bought the Cabela's AGM battery today. Group 24.

But they didnt have the 10amp charger I was looking for. So I had to order that online today. Should be here next week.

I hope the weather is nice soon. I got some new lures to throw too. :-" #-o

I do have a question about my trolling motor mount though. It has one of those pill pins on it. Why do I need it? It seems if it's in place, the motor will be at a weird angle....

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:04 am

I think it's basically a 'tilt' for shallower waters.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:01 am

I'd guess it's for more angled transoms or maybe bow mounting?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:39 am

Yea, lots of boats have slightly angled transoms. Not all are vertical.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:23 pm

And do you folks trailer your boat with the trolling motor in place? :-"

I dont really trust the mount for long trips or rough roads....

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:16 am

Not trying to cut you off FishingFool, but someone made mention about charging that got me thinking.

I'm thinking about hooking up two 12V batteries in parallel to my 12v trolling motor in order to increase my run time. The question I have is charging them.

I have a three bank smart charger on board but unclear if I can hook them up to each battery while they are in this configuration parallel. (1-cranking, 2- Trolling motor). I have read numerous reports that all seem to conflict with one another.

If I was to connect each bank to a battery and retain the parallel connection between the two TM batteries would this be safe and proper?

thanks for the advice

ND
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

http://www.nwtigermuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:25 am

If you run your batteries in parallel you can't charge them individually unless you break the circuit. Depending on your charging system, and how you hook it up, it may do that for you and it may not. Leaving your batteries hooked together while charging isn't a problem for the batteries as long as they are of the same type. As I don't know what kind of charger you have, I can't say for sure if hooking 2 banks in parallel will cause problems, this is something that should be covered in the user's guide. Worst case, just hook up one bank to the two batteries and let it do its thing. It will take twice as long, but it won't hurt anything either. For the quickest charge times you'll want to isolate each battery from one another, I use a manual Perko switch to do this. The rub is then that you'll need to run some heavy wire between the batteries and the switch, don't use anything less than 6 guage or you may end up cooking your wire.