Transducer adjustment question

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
StuckOnTheBank
Petty Officer

Transducer adjustment question

Post by StuckOnTheBank » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 am

I'm only seeing the front part of the inverted V on my fishfinder. I've been told that the transducer needs to be adjusted slightly. I have a pontoon boat and can see them on back of the tubes but it's moored and my trailer is not close by. Anybody ever tried to adjust them with your boat still in the water?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Transducer adjustment question

Post by Bodofish » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:57 pm

However it works out, you want your transducer to be mounted as close to parallel to the surface as you can get it. It probably does need a bit of adjustment, sit in it and figure out what it needs and pull it up on the shore and do it. Probably the most important thing is to make sure it's free of any obstructions between the boat and the bottom (except fish). You didn't mention what fish finder you have and if you can adjust the sensitivity. Also a being on a toon, I'm guessing you're not going into very deep water so the sonar’s field of view is going to be pretty small. Don't expect to see fish swimming by but rather use it to look at structure. You won't very often see the fish you catch as most are pretty skittish about a big thing above them.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!