Rock Lake out side cheney?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
beerbohm
Petty Officer

Rock Lake out side cheney?

Post by beerbohm » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:43 pm

I am heading down to rock lake this coming monday. I am curious as to how the fishing has been. I looked on the reports page but there has been nothing posted for months.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Rock Lake out side cheney?

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:32 pm

beerbohm wrote:I am heading down to rock lake this coming monday. I am curious as to how the fishing has been. I looked on the reports page but there has been nothing posted for months.
Most of us that hit Rock Lake in Whitman County find other places during the heat of the summer. The fishing can be good, but the pattern may be tougher to find. Personally, when the surface temperature climbs over 65 degrees, I leave the trout alone (or is it that the trout leave me alone?) and I move on. This happens about mid May to early June on most years.

It is possible that a report I saw as Wholesale Sports today is accurate (I doubt their report credibility but ...) when they said large Browns and Bows could be caught using 4 to 5 colors of lead line and flies. With the rule of thumb of 5 feet per color, the depth seems about right at 20 to 25 feet. If I were to hit Rock, I'd probably use a downrigger and F7 flatfish.

I find that the Bass can be pretty good if you work the rocks (which are everywhere) with crayfish patterns. I expect to loose a lot of tackle, but it can be hot at times. I have hit a lot of small Bass here, but I have also C&R'd some in excess of 7 pounds as well, so Rock can be a real sleeper.

If you find the time, drifting near the cliffs with a small jig can take suspended Crappie as well. Most of the time the crappie are scattered, but if you find a good school, numerous and large Crappie can be had. Personally, I do this during the middle of the day when the other fishing is slow.

Last, I consider fishing Rock without a boat a waste of time, and launching a boat this time of year can be tough. The water will be low, and you will need to drive way back. It is possible your wheels will hook the drop off so you will need to be careful not to damage your trailer.

Good luck, be careful, let us know how you do.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:07 pm

I have a cousin and a cousin in law that fish Rock alot this time of year at night. They troll at night down there using those flashing plugs and pull some real monster Browns out of there. That's as far as I know, I don't know what depths they are fishing at or anything else.

We golfed yesterday at Wandermere in my Grandfathers memorial turniment and they showed me some pictures of the Browns they caught this year so far and I am inpressed.

They used to post there fishing reports but not anymore and they will probly kill me for this but owell.

Good Luck

Note: I know a few people that hate this site because other people start fishing what they call there spots. And the guys I fish w/ don't have a computer and they would kill me if they knew I post all our reports. Cry Babys!
Well its not called Catching!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:15 pm

LOL, I get in trouble all the time. You might as well be as well.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

beerbohm
Petty Officer

Post by beerbohm » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks for the tips and advice. Unfortunatly me and the wife had a bit too much fun the night before and we sleept in. I do plan on hitting rock inbetween hunting. I will post my reports.