WDFW News Release: Two-pole fishing option starts Aug. 15 on most state lakes

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

WDFW News Release: Two-pole fishing option starts Aug. 15 on most state lakes

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:11 am

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

August 10, 2009

Two-pole fishing option starts Aug. 15 on most state lakes

OLYMPIA - Recreational anglers will soon have the option of using two poles while fishing in most Washington lakes under a new law passed by the state Legislature.

Effective Aug. 15, the two-pole endorsement option will apply to the majority of the 8,000 fishing lakes, ponds and reservoirs in Washington state. Endorsements will be available Aug. 13 from authorized license dealers, listed at http://wdfw.wa.gov/lic/vendors/vendors.htm , or from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/ .

Anglers wishing to take advantage of the new opportunity will be required to pay a $20 fee ($5 for resident seniors) for the endorsement, which is in addition to the recreational fishing license issued by WDFW. A surcharge and transaction fee will also apply.

Revenue generated from the new fees will go toward hatchery fish production.

Because approximately 145 lakes and ponds will be excluded from the two-pole endorsement program, anglers should check the regulations carefully before they go fishing, said Phil Anderson, WDFW interim director. The list of excluded lakes and ponds is available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/twopole/ . Saltwater fisheries and fisheries on rivers and streams will also be excluded.

"Our department priority is to protect and conserve Washington’s fish populations, while providing fishing opportunities for anglers," Anderson said. "The new legislation will help us achieve both by improving prospects for catching hatchery trout and warm-water fish in the state’s lakes, while excluding areas where populations are more vulnerable," Anderson said.

Excluded waters are those with conservation issues, such as waters containing threatened or endangered species, or lakes designated for specific management objectives, such as juvenile-only fishing lakes.

Anderson said the department will also evaluate additional areas and situations where two-pole fishing may be allowed in the future. He encouraged the public to provide comments on the new law during WDFW’s 2010-11 sportfishing rule-making process in early September.

When the new endorsement option goes into effect Aug. 15, all fishing regulations, such as size, species and daily limits, will still apply.

"Having a second pole may help anglers catch their daily limit of fish faster, but the limit and other regulations will remain the same," Anderson said.

For more information, visit WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/ , or call WDFW’s licensing department at (360) 902-2464.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

jens
Commodore

RE:WDFW News Release: Two-pole fishing option starts Aug. 15 on most state lakes

Post by jens » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 am

Thank you for the info-
"One more......."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:WDFW News Release: Two-pole fishing option starts Aug. 15 on most state lakes

Post by Bodofish » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:27 am

Well now....... That's about usless. Leave up to the State to turn a good idea into a waste of time and money. They won't be getting another $20 from me. I wonder how much money was wasted adding this usless addition to the F&G rules.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 am

Not for 20 bucks. 5 or MAYBE 10 dollors.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:48 am

It looks like the $20 will go to a good cause..... I see it as a way to support our (well now your) fisheries. The $20 is supposed to go toward hatcheries and they need the $ because of all the cuts they have been receiving.. If I was still in WA I would pay the $20 even if I didn't fish 2 poles all the time:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:39 am

Bodofish wrote:Well now....... That's about usless. Leave up to the State to turn a good idea into a waste of time and money. They won't be getting another $20 from me. I wonder how much money was wasted adding this usless addition to the F&G rules.
I don't know.. Useless to many, but not all. I forsee a lot of suburban lakes (Greenlake comes to mind) where there will be more two pole fishing than one pole. Now weather they pay the $20, or WDFW gets out and starts checking them on a regular basis, who knows.

That being said, I doubt that I will pay the extra $20 either - I don't do enough still fishing to make it worthwhile.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:48 am

Gringo Pescador wrote: I don't do enough still fishing to make it worthwhile.

Trolling is where this is MOST effective you can now run lures at different depths making it easier to locate fish:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:58 am

With out the saltwater areas and major lakes included I won't be purchasing that endorsement. A good portion of us are just trying to figure out what the fish want, an extra rod in the water cuts the time in half. Once your dialed in, one rod is plenty, especially when you're by yourself. All this is going to lead to is a bunch of gut hooked fish.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:27 pm

there is no lakes i fish on the list except lake wenatchee
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:42 pm

The list excludes very few lakes in Pierce county. The lake I would use it at are Harts and Clear and Rapjohn...there are a lot of lakes. My question is why $20 if we only have 2 months to fish? Or are they going to make it due in Aug every year.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:26 pm

The only lake I would use it is in Lake Washington for perch. Thats too bad for the guys trolling for cuts in that lake.
I could see why they would put that lake on the list to protect sea-run fish though.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:39 pm

So, the best use of this that I see is throwing out something really stinky for catfish, let it sit while you target pan fish or trout.

But Gringo has a good point, will they actually check? Didn't a bunch of guys get laid off from the WDFW?

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Sweet! I am assuming the is active as of August 15, 2009 not 2010 correct? I'am on my way out to buy the license:bounce:

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Toni wrote:My question is why $20 if we only have 2 months to fish? Or are they going to make it due in Aug every year.
They will make an option to buy with your regular license every year - originally they were going to put it into effect next season. Must have gotten it drawnup faster than they thought and decided to make a few extra $$ this year.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

uncyboo
Petty Officer

Post by uncyboo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:32 am

I'm in. Very few lakes I fish or plan to fish were on "the list".

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:11 pm

this works well for how i fish (shore mostly) and would like to fish. there are many lakes and ponds that i would benifit using two set ups. one for bottom fishing and one for fishing other lures. now i am able to set up for catfish and still cast for panfish. or the same for trout fishing. both bottomand top can be fished. boat fishing i can troll two differnt types of offerings for differnt fish. walleye and perch are one example. maybe a good way to catch your limit of koke's when you run thru a school. so for me it would be worth the $20 to be able to use my time to fish the slow action along with the fast action. of coarse this does not work well when all you do is cast as for bass/muskie etc.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:39 pm

panfisher wrote: maybe a good way to catch your limit of koke's when you run thru a school.
Thats exactley what Im thinking.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:17 am

on my trip to Conconully last weekend my fishing hours were limited. Usually in 2hr increments or so, then i'd swap with my wife so she could go out and fish or sunbathe while I watched the little guy. I actually probably would have paid the $20 to contribute to the fund and it would have allowed me to pitch powerbait off the bottom over on the deep side of the boat while i casted lures towards the shoreline working bass on the other side of the boat.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:33 pm

im mixed about this....i like fishing two in my tub puposely to dial in faster, so i would like it, but on the other hand 20bucks, for 10 i would..
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:06 pm

If I have the $20 I will do it. I probably will do it next year since I don't think I will be fishing the lakes from now on.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.