Banks lake

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Big Smooth
Petty Officer

Banks lake

Post by Big Smooth » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Hey ladies and gents, I'm planning a trip to Banks Lake in a few weeks and was wondering peoples opinion of the Sun Banks Resort. I'm thinking of staying in the waterside cabins and having never fished this lake or "camped" it I'm a bit unsure of what to expect. I definately want to hit Rufus Woods for a day also, if the time permits. I do appreciate any advise you can give me.

Thank you in advance.

Steve
I like it when I can call it Catching!

clam man
Warrant Officer

RE:Banks lake

Post by clam man » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:41 am

I always stay at coulee playland, but have walked through sunbanks, and drooled over the place. I think you will be very pleased. As long as you don't hit it on memorial day you should be golden. Banks is a great place for smallmouth, some largemouth, walleye, and all sorts of trout, perch, carp, catfish, etc.

Go to coulee playland baitshop and they will have current day fishing reports, recommended bait/lures, etc.
Have a great time....
Clam Man

"____________"

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:45 am

I usually stay at Steamboat State park. There are numerous fishing holes to hit around the park, and its a really nice play to stay. I would also avoid memorial day weekend though.
Banks lake for LIFE!

2010 Big Fish Competition:
SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

wmaxwell48
Warrant Officer

Post by wmaxwell48 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:40 pm

It is ICED over and may take several week for ice out. Maybe open by mid April.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 pm

It depends....This is all word of mouth but I was planning a trip to Banks and my wife had reserved
a spot at Sun Banks.Thinking nothing of it..I had by spot covered,I mentioned it to a friend that said I may
not like it. He had stated it wasn't very family friendly and more of a party spot. So I asked around and even
found negative reviews on another fishing site. One stated something like"If you like partying 'til 3AM,you might like it."
I seriously heard tons of negatives about the place. So I decided to call and ask the resort itself. I mentioned that
I heard it was a party atmosphere and music playing until 3AM. The guy said something along the lines of"Its not that bad..its usually quiet by midnight" Usually by midnight...no thanks I said,I have a 2 year old and my wifes grandparents
would be out too. So I canceled my spot and the guy was talking smack..."We don't need your money anyway"
No problem...cause your not getting it.

This was my experience...and I hadn't even stepped foot on the grounds.

Big Smooth
Petty Officer

Post by Big Smooth » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:00 pm

WOW.. THANKS ALL OF YOU.

Clam, good to know a good local bait shop where I can get some advise. ( I need it)

Snoho, I was thinking Steamboat also, but the wife wanted to try Sunbanks out. The ice is something I did not take into account though being the first part of April.. but I hope it's thawed out by then, because if not , I would have to spend most my days at Rufus...... (Hmmmm[-o< )

Kevin, I appreciate the info, in a way I wish my wife would have read this before pulling the trigger this morning.... oh well, I'll let you know how it goes.:fish:

Steve

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:58 pm

The state parks are a lot saner places to stay once the weather warms up (if you like camping). Around any of the warm weather holidays you'll get bikini hatches, jet ski hatches, drunken teenager (well not all teenagers) hatches around any of the places to stay. Most of the private places are a bit lax on keeping the lid on as they have a short season to make their money. I learned a long time ago to bring ear plugs along on the holiday weekends. Things are much tamer over there a couple of weekends before and after the holiday weekends. A little blue sky, sunshine, and warmth feels really good on our water logged, lily white, wetside bodies.
Life's short - fish hard!

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:23 pm

We stayed at the southern end of the lake in Coulee City a couple summers ago. We stayed at Banks Lake Resort and if you don't mind not fancy it was fine and quiet. The city park has a camp ground and there is also the Ala Cozy motel too.
Big Wally's has great fishing advise along with tackle and worms. Gordon and Rosie told us exactly where to catch fish.
Good luck and I'm waiting for a fishing report when you get back.
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:35 pm

I can say far worse things about my experience at Washington state campgrounds than SunBanks. In general every campsite in this state has tiny sites, concrete pads you are required to use for your tent location (who the heck came up with this idea), or gravel everwhere for motorhomes/camper trailers.

During the holiday periods or during special events SunBanks can get pretty chaotic, but the rest of the season is relatively mellow. The staff are great about confronting reasonable problems. If someone is making noise and having a good time with friends/family during the evening before the posted quiet hours they will tell you it isn't their problem, and quite frankly it isn't. After hours, they will confront the offenders and I have seen them kick them out right then and there. This resort campsite is setup to be a social and fun atmosphere, not a shroud yourself in privacy kinda place. On the weekends they bring in live entertainment one night and have karaoke the other on their large central stage and ballfield. The crowd is usually younger (<45) and the groups larger (5 or more per group). The main bathroom/shower facility and general store are nice to have on site. I enjoy being able to pick up ice w/o leaving the area in my vehicle and the hot shower is great for departure day.

If that isn't your cup of tea then I would agree that you would be unhappy. For me, it is a welcome change to some of the State Parks I've been to lately. I enjoy being able to throw back a few cold ones when I am relaxing and camping which the state parks prohibit. I also get sick and tired of "get off my lawn types" ripping me a new one when I am sitting around the campfire at night sharing stories with my friends and family at the state parks.

Big Wallies is great and so is the tackle shop/general store down the road from Sunbanks Resort (Coulee Playland?)

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:59 am

Hey Big,

Did you ever make it there? I'll be going probley the 24th of April for Rufus Trips and Roosevelt Silvers.

Thanks,
Mav

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:08 am

Yeah, let us know how it went, and how the water is at this early stage of the year.
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

Big Smooth
Petty Officer

Post by Big Smooth » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:22 am

Heck yeah I made it. I stayed waterside in a cabin for 50 bucks... not bad for waterside. A gentleman that stayed next to us fished banks on Friday and Saturday. He had no luck on the Friday the 3rd, but in the morning of the 4th he landed two walleye 26" and I think the other was 22". He didn't catch anything else though. Great guy from Spokane who gave me much advise for future trips to Banks and Rufus. I fished Rufus the whole time and enjoyed myslef. The campsite was well worth it for April. NOBODY was there and you had the entire resort to yourself. Nothing was open, but you had the whole place and room to roam. Also visited Grand Coulee and was able to have pizza vs. regular camping food.

Water temp for banks was low to mid 40's. Rufus was 32-38 degrees. Weather was great the entire time I was there. I can definately see how SunBanks Resort can be a party place with the live bands during the summer and all those spots.
I liked the ability to beach my boat next to the waterside cabins, even though I didn't drop her in. Relatively short drive also to either end of Rufus. I'll find some pics I took and try and post em.

Thanks to all that help make my trip.

Steve

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks Big,
This may be where I end up for the 'Cast and Blast' next week. I lived in the area recently for 3 years and never stayed at Sunbanks...but was familiar with it for other reasons. I know it can be crazy at times like most places are...but at 50 bucks per night and nearly empty this time of year...I knew you could not go wrong! Thanks for the report.
Mav
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Smooth
Petty Officer

Post by Big Smooth » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:16 am

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks for the pics Biggie =d>

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:44 am

Big Smooth wrote:Here are some of the pics.
BanksLake Trip1
BanksLake Trip2
BanksLake Trip3
BanksLake Trip4
Rufus Woods
Where did you get that cabin? Is it one that can be rented?

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:52 am

Hi Kfed...Biggie was staying at Sunbanks Resort...link provided below. :-$

Mav

http://www.sunbanksresort.com/

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Big Smooth wrote:Here are some of the pics.
BanksLake Trip1
BanksLake Trip2
BanksLake Trip3
BanksLake Trip4
Rufus Woods
God I love Banks. Just seeing pic 4 makes me go nuts. I have a trip there the 1st of May through the weekend, and then again May 13th through the 17th... ahh I cant Wait :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Those cabins are handy, but the thing I dont like about sunbanks is the location. I prefer many of the fishing areas around steamboat.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz