I got one! Now what?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
smoked1
Petty Officer

I got one! Now what?

Post by smoked1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:08 pm

I got my first fish today. I used to catch them with my grandfather when I was a kid but this is the first time on my own. Anyway, I got it on the dock but really didn't know what to do in order to keep it and take it home, so I just let it go. My question is; what do I do with the fish once I catch it? I know it's a stupid question but I really don't know. Are you supposed to club it and then put it on ice or do you clean it right there on the dock? It sure would have been cool to take him home and eat him. Once I figure out how to get them home I will learn how to cook them. :) This was at Lake Stevens.

gian
Warrant Officer

RE:I got one! Now what?

Post by gian » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:54 pm

If I'm on a lake and plan on eating fish, I'll cut the gill plates and let them bleed out while still in the water. Keep them secure of course so they don't swim away. On a river, cut and clean while the heart is still beating. The sooner you can bleed them, the better the meat when you cook.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

smoked1
Petty Officer

Post by smoked1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:35 pm

What are the gill plates? Would you then take him out of the water and put him on ice till you get home. Do you clean the fish before putting them in the freezer? I have no idea what I am doing. :)

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:08 pm

the bleeding really depends on the fish, warmwater fish i have never noticed a bad flavor because they are so mild. stuff like catfish you will want to bleed. you can clean it at the lake if you want to but throw the guts and stuff way out into the water so it isnt a big stinky mess for somebody else to get bothered by. if i dont have a cooler with me then i leave them on a stringer until i walk back to the car (this is only for places i can drive right to or within a quarter mile). i like to have a nice setup surface to clean my fish on so i usually clean them once i get home. if its a much longer walk than a quarter of a mile to the car then i will have a cooler. you will want to be sure there arent any guts left before you but them in the freezer because they can foul the meat. if you are just beginning then you probably arent hiking in very far so just keep a cooler in your car. clean it at the water if you want or not, but when you get home, if you are going to freeze it then fillet it and wrap it tight and use it soon, or if you want to freeze it whole, submerge it in water and freeze it all (water protects meat from freezer burn).

Malottguy
Petty Officer

Post by Malottguy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:20 pm

Maybe find someone off the board here that is close to you or a friend who fishes and can help you out. If I was close I would show you how I do it but im with gian on cutting the gills and bleed them it makes a world of difference in taste. Good luck to you though.

Big D

Post by Big D » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:17 am

There are many ways to clean a fish. Here's a couple of links to youtube videos that will give you the general idea:
JrsgSYAvYPo
oULRyVnv4Ow&feature=related

After you have mastered the cleaning, this is how you fillet a trout
Z0VaIhb6xoU&feature=related
L7-pNRDeb8Y&feature=related

It's always best while learning to have a little help from a friend or someone you trust that knows what they are doing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

smoked1
Petty Officer

Post by smoked1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks guys! With any luck I will be bringing home some fish this weekend. Another member here has already offered to take me out on his boat sometime too. I can't wait to go again this weekend. It's so great just kicking back with a cigar and a line in the water.

Carl762
Petty Officer

Post by Carl762 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Glad you're getting out there are doing it. You might want to pick up a book at the tackle store.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:33 am

yeah I usually do the cooler in the car too (with ice in it), its usually melted down a little which is actually good cause a slurry is better than just ice alone...will help keep the fish evenly cool, less you have that ground or shaved ice like you see in the fish markets.

For catfish I just take the hook off the swivel with the fish attached, put em in the cooler (alive), take em home, throw em in the tub or a kiddie swimming pool if it will stay cool enough over night and no worries of predators, let them clean themselves out (you will notice a bit of dirt in the bottom of the tub). Then I gut em and skin em while retriving the hook....I hate getting jabbed by their spines. I learned his from a guy who grew up in Loiusianna. He used to take them alive and nail em through the head to a wood post, skin them and then gut them....but he said it was the easiest way to skin them lol...
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/