Tips for cold water fishing needed

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
zbo
Petty Officer

Tips for cold water fishing needed

Post by zbo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:07 am

During the winter are trout going to be at the bottom or towards the surface? I am just not sure how to fish for trout during the cold months. thanks

G-Man
Admiral

RE:Tips for cold water fishing needed

Post by G-Man » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:39 am

Zbo,

I think you'll find some good info if you take a look at the following link: Which method for fall/winter fishing for trout? A lot of good information can be found in that thread.

zbo
Petty Officer

Post by zbo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:34 pm

thanks dude that was definitely a big help

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:22 pm

I know for me when I fish trout in the winter I fish the bottom area most.Usually a slip sinker and a double line setup.1 has Powerbait other has eggs and a mallow.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 pm

No worms? How long a leader when you winter fish? I usually use some really long leaders and I'm wondering if the long leaders are insane to use in the winter months (based on the fact that my dads Koy don't move much in the winter and think (damn that hurts doing that thinking thing) that the trout act in the same manner)

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:12 pm

If you're using a slip sinker go with a leader of no more that 24" and snell on an ultra fine hook. Use 4lb test or less and the smallest swivel you can find, for winter time trout it helps to be stealthy. I always float my offering using either marshmellow, powerbait or inflating the worm if I'm using one. Before you toss it out there, make sure your bait and hook floats, if it doesn't you'll need to make some adjustments. Once you cast out you offering, make sure you have taken in all the slack and keep a close watch on the tip of your rod and the belly of the line. Any movement not caused by the wind should put you on the ready to set the hook.

Tight Lines!

RainbowHunter
Petty Officer

Post by RainbowHunter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Most definately go for the bottom in the winter. Because large bodies of water such as lakes take longer to heat up and cool down than the surronding land and air the fish are gonna go to the deeper parts of the water in the winters months because the water will actually be warmer for them. also in winter months most fish wont hit the bait hard. they tend to grab it and move lazily, so it is easy to miss a stikeif you are casting out. if fishing from a dock and just dropping straight down watch where your line goes in the water because the fishing will most likely just grab the bait and swim slowly you'll most likely see the line start to move rather than the tip of pole moving. if casting out the rod tip may start to bend slowly rather than snap real fast as it would in the spring when they hit aggressively.
If it aint broke, You aint trying hard enough!

http://countvladamier.spaces.live.com