Using gamefish as bait?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
bigastrout
Commander

Using gamefish as bait?

Post by bigastrout » Fri May 25, 2007 8:46 pm

I recall reading in the regs that using gamefish for bait was prohibited. This has come up in another thread and was wandering if anyone else remembers reading that? I have been searching for it in this years regs and can't find anything prohibiting it. I started keeping old copys of the regs a few years back so that I could keep an eye on how things change. I looked back to the 2003-2004 season regs and was unable to find any rule that prohibits it there either. Does anyone remember a rule that prohibited it, maybe back in the 90's? Is it still a rule that I am just missing or is it legal. If it is a rule can you tell me what page it is on.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

YellowBear
Captain

RE:Using gamefish as bait?

Post by YellowBear » Sat May 26, 2007 9:32 am

As I recall it used to read,No gamefish or part of any gamefish may be used for bait.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Smalma
Warrant Officer

Post by Smalma » Sat May 26, 2007 7:23 pm

I believe that the rule is "You may not possess or use live fish for game fish bait".

Cut bait from a game fish would be legal.

Tight lines
Curt

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat May 26, 2007 10:27 pm

thats how the regs seem to say. but lets say that you had (5) 1" bass (dead) for bait, you use them to catch bass, bass limit is (5), i wouldn't want to explain to the worden. 1" bass would be counted if retained as part of your limit as would any other sized fish.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:51 pm

Wouldn't it be illegal to keep your 1 inch bass in the first place to use as bait since most lakes there is the slot limit rule?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat May 26, 2007 11:44 pm

I recall that same rule (can't use gamefish). Wonder if it is over in the saltwater area of the regs? As in you can't use salmon to catch halibut, or trout to catch crab.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Smalma
Warrant Officer

Post by Smalma » Sun May 27, 2007 6:00 am

Gee - I tried to help.

See page 27 in your new fishing regulation pamphlet - middle of the page, middle column.

Or if prefer the actual WAC see item # 6 of -

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=220-56-122

FYI regarding the bass question(s) - The slot limit on bass is that the fish between 12 and 17 inches are protected, it is legal to have fish below 12 inches up to 5/day. If you had 5 small dead bass to be used for bait your would have your limit and could not fish for any additional bass.

As it said it is OK to use game fish for cut bait -
A common and legal example would using chunks of say a4 inch yellow perch to tip your jigs during a fall perch jerk.

Tight lines
Curt

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 29, 2007 8:31 pm

jbball50 wrote:Wouldn't it be illegal to keep your 1 inch bass in the first place to use as bait since most lakes there is the slot limit rule?
The slot limit rule allows you to keep 1 over 17" and only bass under 12" and nothing in between so a 1" bass is legal

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 29, 2007 8:32 pm

I use perch all the time and know for a fact that it is legal, but is a perch a game fish?

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Wed May 30, 2007 1:48 pm

Smalma wrote:If you had 5 small dead bass to be used for bait your would have your limit and could not fish for any additional bass.

Tight lines
Curt
However, the regs state that you may have 2 daily limits in your possession ( top of page 33 of current regs) , so if you caught the 5 small dead bass the day before, arguably you could use them the next day for bait for an additional 5 fish.

Noah
Angler

Post by Noah » Wed May 30, 2007 2:19 pm

Hmmm, used to be that fishermen would never be lawyers. Now it seems you must be a lawyer to be a fisherman.:-k

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Wed May 30, 2007 5:13 pm

Noah wrote:Hmmm, used to be that fishermen would never be lawyers. Now it seems you must be a lawyer to be a fisherman.:-k
Hey now...not all of us lawyers are bad[-x But, I do know what you mean. The rules do get more and more complex every year.

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:28 pm

P. 27 You May Not:
"Take, fish for, or possess PACIFIC LAMPREY, WESTERN BROOK LAMPREY, or RIVER LAMPREY, or use any species of LAMPREY for bait."

"Use SALMON, HERRING, or HALIBUT for anything other than human consumption or fishing bait."

"Possess or use live fish for game fish bait."

So you may use deceased trout, kokanee, salmon, or most anything as bait except lamprey. However, I wouldn't use Bull Tout as bait nor any other closed fishery in an area.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tug's the Drug

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:38 am

talked to someone at the fish and wildlife yesterday about this said it was legal to use dead gamefish as bait. <')//<

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:48 am

panfisher wrote:talked to someone at the fish and wildlife yesterday about this said it was legal to use dead gamefish as bait. <')//<
do you have an email or was it a conversation?
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:52 pm

In a semi-related topic... Are there any regulations against using live crawfish or frogs/tadpoles as bait? I am used to fishing in the midwest on private lakes and ponds where anything goes. I just got back into fishing again after a 10yr hiatus and find the rules out here mindbogglingly difficult to remember while out on the water. I am not in the habit of bringing a ruler or scale to determine whether or not to release my catch.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:10 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote:In a semi-related topic... Are there any regulations against using live crawfish or frogs/tadpoles as bait? I am used to fishing in the midwest on private lakes and ponds where anything goes. I just got back into fishing again after a 10yr hiatus and find the rules out here mindbogglingly difficult to remember while out on the water. I am not in the habit of bringing a ruler or scale to determine whether or not to release my catch.
Crawfish frogs and tadpoles are legal to use as bait, and are worth trying. And you might want to get in the habit of bringing a ruler with you when you go fishing. It seems like almost all the species have a size restriction on them. And to make matters worse different lakes have different size regulations, not all the lakes, just all the lakes a fisherman would be interested in fishing LOL. So a ruler, and a rules and regs book is a must. But the selective gear lakes, its illegal to use live bait, like frogs and crawfish, so make sure to get a rules and regs book it will save you.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:59 pm

i went down to the headquarters in yakima and ask the person behind the desk about using dead gamefish such as bass for bait. they said it was legal to do so, they walked off doing something else before i could ask any more questions. <')//<

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:22 pm

Looks like I definitely need to head out and find a reg's book and a ruler. Any idea where to find the book? Is it safe to assume the varied regulations are posted on the bulletin board(s) near the boat launch/fishing areas or in the book? I don't want to be "that" guy who ends up causing intrusive enforcement from the WDFW... After years in the Navy it seems that it only takes one yahoo breaking enough rules to make it tougher for everyone else.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:18 am

there was a question regarding if frogs and crawfish can be used as bait. its legal but some frogs are listed as endanged. i use to fish with frogs alot back in the midwest, caught bass, walleye, catfish, northern pike. there really is a problem with differnt frog species going into the decline. one of the main ones is the spotted/leopord frog variety.there are pamplets at the fish and wild life offices, and i believe at the forestery offices as well if any of you are interested.