Lake Chelan Smallmouth Fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
dutchman2858
Commander

Lake Chelan Smallmouth Fishing

Post by dutchman2858 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:09 am

I'm dragging my boat over to Chelan and Banks for a week in early May. We'll be staying at Wapato Point so I'm looking for some info on the "where and how" of smallmouth fishing on Chelan. All we do is C&R on bass and any info will be treated with respect and discretion. Any advice can be PM'd and thanks in advance for any help!

Roger

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Lake Chelan Smallmouth Fishing

Post by Amx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 am

Watch the video filmed at Chelan in the video section.

I don't really know anything about Chelan so I can't say what to do, other than jigs and such, rocky flats, rock piles and ledges. It should be in the spawn or pre-spawn phase in May.
Tom.

Interests: living

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:28 pm

OK I am no expert but have caught a lot of SMB in Lake Chelan. My catches are always incidental to rainbow or cutthroat fishing but catches they are. When trolling stickbaits or crankbaits in 6-12' of water it seems that every time I pass a rock pile or some other structure I/we get a SMB (hmmm, maybe I should actually target them...).

If you're staying at Wapato Point launch at Old Mill Park and just start fishing structure as you work your way southeast towards town. In fact just outside the Old Mill Park boat basin there is a huge elongated pile of rocks that holds tons of SMB. Good luck out there trout, oh I mean SMB fishing!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Here's our video, it's from April:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Yup, I watched it - again - about an hour ago. [laugh]
Tom.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks, AMX, rseas and Mike. I re-watched the Chelan video this evening. I then went to Google Maps and viewed the Sat map of the lake. Both sides of Wapato Point have shallows as depicted in the video, with the largest to the SE like rseas mentioned. Mike, your HotSpot for the report on the day you made the video shows some of your action in the same area. Looks like that will be the area I'll be concentrating on!

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:20 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcqIaKpUyPw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this is along the highway from the town to the state camp grounds. Shows how many are there

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:31 am

That was way cool, thanks for sharing.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:04 am

cobrar543 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcqIaKpUyPw this is along the highway from the town to the state camp grounds. Shows how many are there
How does that saying go? "If you knew how many fish there were where you were fishing, and not getting bites, you'd quit fishing". Something like that. lol
Tom.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Neat dive video, Cobrar--great footage! Was that about across the lake from Wapato Point? What time of year?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:19 am

Amx wrote:
cobrar543 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcqIaKpUyPw this is along the highway from the town to the state camp grounds. Shows how many are there
How does that saying go? "If you knew how many fish there were where you were fishing, and not getting bites, you'd quit fishing". Something like that. lol
Our first time trip to Chelan, we didnt take the boat, so we fished from shore all along the area where those guys were diving. The water was crystal clear and we could see an occational bass, trout or pike fish swimming around the rocks below us but could not get a single one to bite! It wasnt anything like in the video as far as numbers. Im glad too or I would have given up fishing!