Lake Washington Launches

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tcb
Warrant Officer

Lake Washington Launches

Post by tcb » Sat May 05, 2007 10:49 am

Morning Folks,

I go out on Lake Washington once or twice a year, mostly because I simply cannot stand the launches (the people, really).

Example: At Magnuson, I dropped my wife off at the dock, backed out and waited for her to grab the trailer. During this time (yes it was sort of crowded) two guys floated up to the retrieve launch and tied off, while one guy went to get the trailer. My wife gets through the line and backs down and guess what? I cant get to the trailer! I asked the guy to move the boat and he said "it's my buddies, I dont want to mess with it".

Irritating enough to where I generally spend my time on Sammamish or Stevens.

It seems I always run into this kind of ramp issue around the lake. Does anyone have any launch locations that are generally low on traffic and/or high on competence?

I'm at the north end of the lake (Kenmore/Bothell), so Coulon is a bit of a drive for me, otherwise I would go down there. I also stay away from the Slough because my boat is fiberglass and I dont like to get wet launching.

thanks!

tcb
Warrant Officer

RE:Lake Washington Launches

Post by tcb » Sat May 05, 2007 10:52 am

Sorry guys, this probably should have been posted to 'off-topic'.

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Sat May 05, 2007 11:03 am

When I launch at Lake Washington I usually go to Sayres or Atlantic City.

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Sat May 05, 2007 11:25 am

Where are those?

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Sat May 05, 2007 10:15 pm

On the west side of the lake. Atlantic City is near Rainier Beach High School and Sayres is just south of the I-90 bridge (where they launch the hydros).

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat May 05, 2007 11:04 pm

tcb wrote:Sorry guys, this probably should have been posted to 'off-topic'.
I wouldn't worry about that. You have to get on the water first to fish, right? Seems to me that falls under the description of Freshwater Fishing.o:)

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 06, 2007 1:55 am

Right in the Mercer Marine launch. I was just there tonight. Not a single person taking out this evening or pulling out...
It's just south of the I-90 East Channel Bridge, and on the east side of the lake. It's a solid launch, completely wind blocked and a good dock too. It's right basically the Newport Shores launch, but they call it Mercer Marine even though its not on Mercer Island.....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:12 pm

the mercer island launch is great. i fish lake washington almost every week and always launch there, never had a problem before.

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Sun May 06, 2007 7:47 pm

I'll give it a shot, thanks for the tips.

Eddie L
Warrant Officer

Post by Eddie L » Sun May 06, 2007 9:47 pm

Magnuson boat launch -- I launched there 1 time,never again.
Stan Sayres boat launch -- 4 boats can launch at a time
Atlantic City boat launch -- 6 boats can launch at a time
Mercer Island boat launch -- 1 boat can launch at a time
Sunnyside boat launch -- 1 boat can launch at a time -- And no launch fee,right next to Gas Works Park
Stan Sayres and Atlantic City-- launch in and pull out pretty easy and fast,my favorite 2 launches on lake Wash.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 06, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 07, 2007 5:41 pm

Is there mercer Island boat launch free?

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue May 08, 2007 4:25 pm

How is the parking around the Mercer Marine launch? Security?
Life's short - fish hard!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:54 pm

The mercer marine launch is really good. It's in newport shores (a really wealthy waterfront community) and the launch is right by the marina and shop, so there are plenty of employees. Never heard of a break-in there, and have had nothing but good experiences there. The fee is $9, but there is a load and unload launch and a dock for them and it is completely sheltered so even in bad winds there isn't a ripple in the launch area....

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:43 am

Lake Washington isn't the only Lake with this problem. I figure poeple just don't read the rules at the dock. They think it's first boat to the launch is at the head of the line instead of the first trailer.

I've pulled into launches and pushed other boats out of the way only to have them yell and swear at me. I just tell them my trailer is backed up and ready to go. If you want to pick up your boat then show me how you will get your trailer around mine.

Stay away from Newport. It's the worst. Mercer Island seems to have the best protocol but only one pier.

Magnuson has a police officer once in a while but the citizens that direct traffic are easily bullied and ignored by the ignoramuses. I've even seen people jump into the water while waiting to p/u their boat.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tug's the Drug