Perch die offs

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
spokey9
Captain

Perch die offs

Post by spokey9 » Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 pm

I was out at bill's boathouse sunday for a couple hours and saw a lot of dead perch float by the dock. There was too many to be from being caught and thrown back. A lot of them looked skinny for this time of year. Then yesterday i took the kid to lake stevens to play in the water and again saw a lot of dead perch being washed up on shore line. The american lake fish were on average between 8-12 inches, the ones at lake stevens were mostly under 6. I know earlier this year i was catching trout out of stevens that looked half starved.

I haven't seen so many dead perch around like i did on those 2 lakes, is this fairly normal or is there something else going on?
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Perch die offs

Post by Amx » Tue May 03, 2016 4:51 pm

Happens most every year. Lack of oxygen, no food, too much competition for food.
Tom.

Interests: living

Ed J
Petty Officer

Post by Ed J » Wed May 04, 2016 10:25 am

spokey9 wrote:I was out at bill's boathouse sunday for a couple hours and saw a lot of dead perch float by the dock. There was too many to be from being caught and thrown back. A lot of them looked skinny for this time of year. Then yesterday i took the kid to lake stevens to play in the water and again saw a lot of dead perch being washed up on shore line. The american lake fish were on average between 8-12 inches, the ones at lake stevens were mostly under 6. I know earlier this year i was catching trout out of stevens that looked half starved.

I haven't seen so many dead perch around like i did on those 2 lakes, is this fairly normal or is there something else going on?

That sounds like what is happening at yale lake with a bunch of kokanee floating belly up.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Wed May 04, 2016 11:12 am

Amx wrote:Happens most every year. Lack of oxygen, no food, too much competition for food.
I was out at American yesterday and saw maybe a dozen or so perch belly up in the area I trolled.

The thing is - perch are a hearty fish compared to trout - so am not sure that they would be the first to go.

American lake is big - over 1,000 acres, and up to 90' deep, so low oxygen shouldn't be a thing - and there is ample forage in the lake for fish to feed on.

onmygame

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:23 am

It's perch spawning time isn't it? Maybe they spawned themselves out and used up too much energy to recover. Producing the next generation can take a lot out of you.
Hope a fish biologist will weigh in, I'm just speculating.

Big-Fish91
Petty Officer

Post by Big-Fish91 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 pm

jd39 wrote:It's perch spawning time isn't it? Maybe they spawned themselves out and used up too much energy to recover. Producing the next generation can take a lot out of you.
Hope a fish biologist will weigh in, I'm just speculating.
x2

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:13 pm

its wierd.. this time last year we were catching perch by the boatload on lk Cassidy and this year havent even seen a dead one.. wonder if they had a die off there as well??

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 am

I asked this same question last year and Fish and Game said its from Spawning. Common for lots to die afterwards from the stress of it. Glad that didnt happen to me. I have 7 kids LOL

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu May 05, 2016 7:20 am

After the spawn. Wonder if they were all female? :pirat:
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sat May 07, 2016 10:29 pm

seems the belly up perch I saw in stevens were to small to spawn, 2-3 inches? Was pretty gruesome in some spots.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sun May 08, 2016 7:13 pm

makes it tough for fishing IMO. Free dead food everywhere to compete against.

cumminsbassguy
Petty Officer

Post by cumminsbassguy » Sun May 08, 2016 8:37 pm

Was out on the south end of cda back in the Joe and there were about 15 little perch about 3-5 inches all belly up. Like everyone else, I haven't seen anything like that before in years past

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:37 am

I've seen some perch die offs from the spawn before and that may be cause. Just seems like I'm seeing quite a bit more than usual this year and got me concerned. I've sent an email to the dept bio to ask their thoughts but haven't gotten a reply yet.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

JV90
Angler

Post by JV90 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:25 pm

I was out at American about a week and a half ago and a gentleman on a dock was talking to me about the fishing when I asked him what the deal was with all the dead perch everywhere. He seemed pretty confident that a lot of it is from the Eagles. I asked if the Eagles didn't like the perch and spit them out or what the deal was. He informed me that they catch them and eat things such as the eyes, guts, and other nutrient dense portions of the fish and let them go... Sure enough not 5 minutes later an Eagle drops a perch in the water from the tree right above me. I looked around and there seemed to be quite a few perch in that same spot so maybe that is at least part of the answer.