Skooteney Reservoir

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tooboocoo
Petty Officer

Skooteney Reservoir

Post by tooboocoo » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:24 am

I haven't been in a good number of years.....is there anywhere to charge batteries there now?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

fishinChristian
Commander

Re: Skooteney Reservoir

Post by fishinChristian » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Not sure if the park has that kind of hookup, but it is a decent campground. You can call the park to find out.509-234-0527 BR. or "The RV park has no hookups for anything; no water, no sewer, and no electricity. What it *does* have is a nice view of the reservoir across road from about half of its sites. It also has a dock for the use of campers that can accommodate 5 or 6 boats. There is a dump station on the right as you exit."

fishslayer80
Petty Officer

Post by fishslayer80 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:55 pm

you nwill want to check if they are open

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:37 pm

The bathrooms are not open.

tooboocoo
Petty Officer

Post by tooboocoo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:23 am

I'm really not planning a trip until May/June. I was just hoping to charge batteries while there. Otherwise it shortens your stay dramatically. How 'bout the bathrooms? Outlet there?

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:47 am

Not that I saw. you might be able to arrange something with the live-in park ranger/attendant/whatever who has a residence just above the park. I'll be going there in the spring. If I think of it I'll look.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Its a pain, but I have charged batteries using my truck when desperate. You can also buy/rent a baby generator but I hate the noise.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:47 pm

I'd keep my eyes peeled on the County's web site. This year starting in June there was/is a toxic algae health warning. It doesn't just go away. There needs to be sufficient water flow..... a lot... to get rid of it. Extremely toxic to humans and dogs. [sad]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

tooboocoo
Petty Officer

Post by tooboocoo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:33 am

Bodofish wrote:I'd keep my eyes peeled on the County's web site. This year starting in June there was/is a toxic algae health warning. It doesn't just go away. There needs to be sufficient water flow..... a lot... to get rid of it. Extremely toxic to humans and dogs. [sad]
Yeah, I saw where they had a problem last year. Hopefully all this rain and snow will wash it away. Thanks for the heads-up.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:19 am

It closed for about a month. Pretty nasty.

Fin seeker
Angler

Post by Fin seeker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:08 pm

Have you looked into solar charger and possible back up batteries for stays like this? I bought a trailer rv solar charger for 150 from campers world works great for this. Other option is alternate batteries from rv to boat

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:47 am

I looked into solar chargers a while back for the boat but decided they were not worth the trouble or cost and not really practical for how we fish. All the ones I could afford would take way too long to recharge a deeply discharged battery. Plus they only work in daylight and they only work well in bright daylight.

A typical group 27 battery is about 65-75 amp hours. Most of the solar chargers on the market only provide a few watts of power at 12 volts. If you had one that did 100 watts, which is on the hi end of the range - most are just a few watts to maybe 30 or so, its going to take 10-12 hours to recharge a fully discharged battery - and thats assuming its noon time and bright sun with no clouds for the entire 10 hours.

When we fish all day we typically run the trolling motor battery down pretty far and we dont get back to camp until going on supper time, so solar just isnt a viable option for us.