Mackinaw in Kachess/Keechelus

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
namaycush
Petty Officer

Mackinaw in Kachess/Keechelus

Post by namaycush » Thu May 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Tried to find current info. on the mackinaw populations in Kachess and Keechelus lakes with no luck. Found some old newspaper clippings that show plantings around 1890 but unable to find out current status of the populations. Know about Cle Elum but want to try new waters if anybody has caught them in Kachess or Keechelus? Thanks

Hunter757
Commander

Re: Mackinaw in Kachess/Keechelus

Post by Hunter757 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Is Cle Elum a good lake for them? I would like to fish for them again after getting one at Chelan. I see a few boats on the Keechelus last week not sure what there fishing for? Hope someone knows could be a fun trip.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat May 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Macks in Cle Elum? You Bet!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

namaycush
Petty Officer

Post by namaycush » Sat May 16, 2015 7:58 pm

The lake trout in Cle Elum are under seige currently because of the gillnetting by the WDFW and the Yakama Nation. Since the WDFW monitors this website, most people have quit posting reports on Cle Elum to help protect the fishery. Also, dedicated lake trout fisherman release the fish so the new regs on Cle Elum that start on July 1st will have little impact on the population.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun May 17, 2015 3:38 am

They've been under siege now for several years. However, the regs changes in the past couple years actually has given the lakers more protection (although not, I would guess, by intent). Contrast Cle Elum with Chelan, which has no limits on lakers. That said, I do realize the difference between the two lakes and the laker populations.

Questions asked was is Cle elum a good lake for them? I would say it's not bad, but not in the same class as Chelan.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 am

I have watched that video many times in the past Mike, great job as always showing what fishery's are capable of what the lake holds.

namaycush, Can you clarify your statement on "dedicated lake trout fisherman release the fish so the new regs on Cle Elum that start on July 1st will have little impact on the population" ?

Did you mean to say it is better to practice catch and release to maintain the population of lakers? This will allow future fishing for them for others as time goes on.

I just saw a post of another member looking to find a lake to catch some lakers and I myself would love to do the same without having to drive 4 hrs to Chelan to do it. I do understand the value in keeping easy to find information from others.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

buzzbob
Petty Officer

Post by buzzbob » Sat May 23, 2015 3:32 pm

I agree with Mike, Chelan definitely has more fish than Cle Elum.

cwbraue
Petty Officer

Post by cwbraue » Wed May 27, 2015 7:01 am

I thought I had read that Keechelus had lake trout about ten years ago? If so they probably don't now. They stock some trout and Kokanee there, which is probably what you saw people fishing for.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri May 29, 2015 8:59 am

Posted in your other thread. Watch that toon!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!