Mackinaw in Horseshoe/Davis lakes (Spokane area)

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
namaycush
Petty Officer

Mackinaw in Horseshoe/Davis lakes (Spokane area)

Post by namaycush » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:00 pm

WDFW planted these lakes in the mid 80's (83/84/85) with Lake Trout. Not much info. on population in either lake. It doesn't appear that the WDFW sampled the lakes after plants or has much interest in the fish. Any idea on the population size in either lake? Thanks

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Mackinaw in Horseshoe/Davis lakes (Spokane area)

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:35 pm

I've seen nice mack pics from Davis.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

namaycush
Petty Officer

Post by namaycush » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I talked to the person who used to guide on Bead and he only caught skinny "snakes" and the tribe up there helped net the upper stratum of Davis several years ago and no lake trout were netted.

buzzbob
Petty Officer

Post by buzzbob » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Montana has a lake with a similar history to those near Spokane that was planted in the mid 80's with Lewis Lake Strain lake trout. Montana manages the lake as a trophy fishery with a daily limit of one over 30 lbs. Those Spokane lakes probably have large fish also since they don't seem to get a lot of attention which makes for trophy fish.

bluegrouse bill
Angler

Post by bluegrouse bill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:18 am

I know a guy from Loon lake that does all his Mackinaw fishing at Horseshoe but is really secretive about how and what he catches. Never heard anything about Davis. But you got me interested. I know the guy who owns the one big place on the highway side of the lake. I might give it a shot