Best camping/fishing location in Washington?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
BlakeWashington
Angler

Best camping/fishing location in Washington?

Post by BlakeWashington » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:59 am

Hey guys,

The girlfriend and I are planning on camping non-wed somewhere and we can't decide on where to go. I'd obviously like to do a lot of fishing while we're there so i'm wondering where we should head. We don't have a boat or even a raft so we'll be fishing off a shore. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Best camping/fishing location in Washington?

Post by racfish » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:13 pm

I like camping and fishing in a few places. If your'e taking the GF with you Id make sure there are maintained bathrooms. The two most favorites of mine are Deception Pass State park. Beautiful settings clean and patrolled campsites. Shore fishing is great there. There is Cranberry Lake, Lake Campbell, Both excellent lake fishing. My second choice is Steamboat Rock in Eastern Wa on the way to Grand Coulee . Its lake fishing with a lot of lakes to fish in a short driving distance. walleye,Perch,Bass,Crappie ,Trout and Salmon even. . Both campgrounds are clean on nice property that is well maintained. Make reservations ASAP. Labor Day coming soon. I'm sure there are not many sites open for then.Good Luck have a great time.

Just as a side note. Steamboat Rock is a short drive from Grand Coulee Dam. If you haven't seen Grand Coulee Dam its well worth seeing. Its unbelievably huge. Very well worth seeing even at night. There is a awesome laser show on the dam itself. If you go to Deception there are so many sites to see including the Bridge.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:43 pm

sun lakes in eastern wa, we went there mid week two weeks ago, couldnt keep fish off on one of the lakes, (if you go ask for a PM) there is lots to do, at the state park. the resort accross the road has put put, boat rentals, and 9 hole golf course, if you fly fish rocky ford creek is with in hour. and steamboat rock is a half hour away.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:38 pm

drysuperfly52 wrote:sun lakes in eastern wa, we went there mid week two weeks ago, couldnt keep fish off on one of the lakes, (if you go ask for a PM) there is lots to do, at the state park. the resort accross the road has put put, boat rentals, and 9 hole golf course, if you fly fish rocky ford creek is with in hour. and steamboat rock is a half hour away.
Did you make it to Dry Falls Lake? It's an awesome place to hit and fly's only. [biggrin]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm

I like the coast. If you're into wilderness camping, 3rd beach out on the penisula is a nice hike in, and the beach has awesome rockfish, perch and ling fishing from the rocks at the end. You can walk down the beach on trails, about five miles down there is goodman creek which has tons of cutthroat in it.

As for campgrounds, I'd go to Ft Canby, I love it there. You have the lake right there that has bass in it, and the jetty that has lings and salmon. It's a great place to camp, there is a calm beach for swimming and shops in long beach. Very romantic for the girls.

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Post by Cascadian » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:18 pm

We had a great time camping and fishing at Lake Crescent on the northern edge of Olympic National Park near Port Angeles earlier this summer. It is a beautiful lake with a couple species of trout that are found nowhere else on the planet. It is kinda a bummer that it is C&R only there, but there is a neighboring lake just down the road that you can keep fish from if you want to.

Braddo
Angler

Post by Braddo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:39 am

For next time I would also recommend the Cove Resort at Fish Lake near Leavenworth for Perch and Trout. They have a dock you can fish from for a couple dollars a day and they also have a variety of boats you can rent. Lake Wenatchee State park is right next door and offers a beach with swimming and has a bit nicer facilities.

I also second the recommendations for Sun Lakes Resort and any of the sites on Banks Lake. We generally stay at Osborn Bay on Banks Lake. Its first come first serve and if you show up on Thursday or bright and early on Friday Morning you can get a site with good lake access and fishing for Walleye from your campsite is fun. Osborn Bay only has vault toilets which is okay because if your girlfriend wants a shower and a beach or lawn to lay on to take a break from fishing Steamboat Rock State Park is a few miles down the road. The State Park itself has a lot of boat and swimmer traffic but I've caught a few fish from the lawn area near the showers and concession stand.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:01 am

Cascadian wrote:We had a great time camping and fishing at Lake Crescent on the northern edge of Olympic National Park near Port Angeles earlier this summer. It is a beautiful lake with a couple species of trout that are found nowhere else on the planet. It is kinda a bummer that it is C&R only there, but there is a neighboring lake just down the road that you can keep fish from if you want to.
I second that. Crescent is a great place and the lake down the road is Sutherland, my all time favorite fishing lake.

Fish On!
Petty Officer

Post by Fish On! » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:00 am

I'll second Fish Lk (Lk Wenatchee) There's good dispersed (free) camping with a bathroom and car topper boat launch on the N. side of the lake off the Chiwawa Valley Rd. (FS 62) Seep Lks area near Othello would be up there on my list for best fishing area. Lots a free camping, bathrooms at some of the lakes and fishing in every direction, walk in to big boat water. As far as most scenic camping with good fishing.......Hands down Twin Lakes off Hwy 542 near Mt. Baker. I camped there for 5 days 2 weeks ago during the week of low 80's and blue skies. Snowing up there now, but what a great 5 days!!!!! Here's a couple pics at Twin Lks. Sorry, I hope this doesn't mess up the formatting, I don't see a way to post a pic in a thumbnail is that possible?

[img]
P9149488-004.JPG
Twin Lakes campsite.
P9149488-004.JPG (144.23 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
[/img][img]
P9129288.JPG
Twin Lks view.
P9129288.JPG (145.05 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
[/img]

FlyGirl
Petty Officer

Post by FlyGirl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:14 pm

{/quote}As for campgrounds, I'd go to Ft Canby, I love it there. You have the lake right there that has bass in it, and the jetty that has lings and salmon. It's a great place to camp, there is a calm beach for swimming and shops in long beach. Very romantic for the girls.[/quote]

Man oh man.....Learned how to have your cake and eat to!!! Some guys out there should take lessons!!! [thumbsup]

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:02 am

For a camping fisherman without a boat try Horsethief State Park or Mary Hill State park. Many excellent lakes provide great fishing from the shoreline. I once caught a 8 pound, 4 ounce largemouth bass from the shoreline in that area.