Spin-glo setup for plunking off the bank????

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
deltadog
Petty Officer

Spin-glo setup for plunking off the bank????

Post by deltadog » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Can anyone offer some insight and a possible picture or diagram of how to rig a spin-glo setup for bank plunking? I am new to the area and have read about it but cannot figure the spin-glo setup. I fathom the concept of the flatfish/qwikfish running in the current and setting your weight, but the exact details of how the spin-glo works into the equation and the leader details for the qwikfish kinda have me stumped.
Last edited by deltadog on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Spin-glo setup for plunking off the bank????

Post by racfish » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Im not sure how to do the artwork for this set up so I'll try to explain it. I pull the desired ammt of line out that I will need to tie up. Lets say 4 feet. I cut off 2.5 feet of that line and save it. I tie a 3way swivel to the main line to pole. Tie it with a barrel not so it just gets tighter with use. I then take the 2.5 feet of line and rie it to the bottom ring pointing down. I snip the weight so the leader has room to move in the water w/o grabbing the main line. At the bottom lets say 2 feet below the swivel.I tie on a 4oz-6 oz depending on how fast the water is moving. Then you take your leader I put on a small red ball first then a spin n glo then another red ball. Tie your leader to the swivel. Your leader should have a egg or shrimp loop on it.Now youre set to go. The legnth of your leader depends on if your gonna use a flatfish or tadpolly slid down the line. The red balls help keep the spin n glo spinning. When I cast my plunking set up i keep my hand on the line so I can stop it where i want it. Stopping it like that helps keep everything in order. The weight drops in first then the leader and bait.Thus a good spinning rig. At that point I would lower the flatfish down the line and work it into position. I hope that helps. I dont have a scanner to scan a pic of the setup. Outdoor Emporium usually has Dummy boards up on the ailes showing you rigging.If you live anywhere in the south seattle area youre wellcome to come by and I could show you.PM me if this is necessary. Good luck
Last edited by racfish on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:04 pm

You have a couple options, sliding rig or fixed rig. Also, the length of your dropper will depend on the substrate on the bottom, if it is boulders, use a longer dropper, if it is cobble or gravel use a bit shorter dropper. Make sure your dropper line is a lighter lb test than your main line and leader so that if it gets hung in the rocks it will be the only thing you lose and not the whole darn setup.

Sliding rig:

This picture doesn't show them using a bead between the snap swivel and barrel swivel, but I would highly recommend using a bead below the sliding swivel to protect your knot from damage.

Fixed rig (this is what Racfish was talking about):

Of the two I prefer the slider. When the fish takes the bait there is less tension on the line and they are more likely to take it deep and not pick it up and spit it too quickly.

For lead you'll want 2 - 6 oz of lead depending on the current.
Last edited by Matt on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

deltadog
Petty Officer

Post by deltadog » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:22 am

So you are actually fishing two different rigs at the same time? The qwikfish and the spin-glo?

medic1
Petty Officer

Post by medic1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:14 am

Check out the Northwest Sportsman magazine, May I think. They had a multi page article on plunking for steelhead including pictures. If you are fishing for salmon, just increase the size of the spin and glow

deltadog
Petty Officer

Post by deltadog » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Is a tadpolly another name for a wigglewart?

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:26 pm

I would use the first rig Matt pictured. If the water is deeper use a longer leader and attach your bait of choice.
Plunking is not for the impatient. Many include a six pack to there arsenal.

deltadog
Petty Officer

Post by deltadog » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:53 pm

One more question. What pound mainline should I run? Around 25 to 30?

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:19 pm

deltadog wrote:Is a tadpolly another name for a wigglewart?

Nope, two completely different plugs. Tadpolly is made by Heddon, Wiggle Wart is a Storm Product, and Brad's makes the Brad's Wiggler which is identical to the wig wart.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:09 am

On my plunking rod i have 30lb power pro then ill normally have 12 to 15 lb leader, i normally only plunk on really slow days or when the rivers are off colored a bit
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

deltadog
Petty Officer

Post by deltadog » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 am

One last question...If I'm planning to fish the Colombia around Vernitas area, what kind of pole should I be using? I have a 9' Shimano or a 12' Ugly Stick?