how do i catch a carp? green lake or eastern wa pond

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Bryne Chum
Petty Officer

Re: how do i catch a carp? green lake or eastern wa pond

Post by Bryne Chum » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm

I have been trying to catch carp in both green and washignton unsuccesfuly. I have recently started trying to target carp. I've been using corn. I'll chum the area a bit. I've been trying around visable vegatation. I tried greenlake morning mid day and late after noon, and nothing. I have been using my bait/salt water rig, 15ib mono 3way swivel,weight, with 2-3ft 8ib leader size 4 hook. When n where would be the best time to try at Greenlake? I dont know much about carp. :-k

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:44 am

I agree. If you've ever tried to catch any other species that spawns or predates in shallow water during the carp spawn (which commonly coincides with bedding/spawning bass) you'll soon realize it's a waste of your time and disruptive to the fishery.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:14 am

TroutSnipr wrote:I agree. If you've ever tried to catch any other species that spawns or predates in shallow water during the carp spawn (which commonly coincides with bedding/spawning bass) you'll soon realize it's a waste of your time and disruptive to the fishery.
So if I read you correctly it's a waste of time to try and get them to bite, yet overall it's great for the carp population and in turn the other species. Might I suggest a bow and arrows for those times, possibly a crossbow or 12 guage.
[thumbsup] :cheers: [thumbsup] :cheers: [thumbsup] :cheers: [thumbsup] :cheers: [thumbsup] :cheers: [thumbsup] :cheers: [thumbsup] :cheers: [thumbsup] :cheers: [thumbsup] :cheers: [thumbsup]
[woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin] [woot] [biggrin]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Yes other fish like bass get disrupted by the carp spawn and in turn it can cause large scale mortality as the bedded fertilized eggs of other species get disrupted by the thrashing carp and all the sediment and damaged vegetation their spawn produces. As most people who fish for bass do not retain them it hampers the bite during spawn time. Although I think using a bow (IIRC crossbows are not legal for any fish in WA) could be a fun proposition, I hardly need another new money sucking aspect of fishing draining my wallet. I've already exceeded this years pre-set fishing budget by at least a factor of 2 or 3 :)
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

bass kickin redneck
Petty Officer

Post by bass kickin redneck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Resampled952012-07-219509-52-5895453-1.jpg
Resampled952012-07-219509-52-5895453-1.jpg (22.35 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
Lake tapps carp on a 1/4oz bitsy bug and yamamoto flapping hog
Shut up and fish

chrismac
Angler

Post by chrismac » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:16 pm

so let me guess the same fools who are moaning about carp are the same fools who pullout every fish they catch and eat? and then complain that its the carps fault why they are not reproducing!!! just think about it this way if the carp lay millions of eggs then the bass get to eat millions of fry which should make the fish bigger would you not agree? but if you catch a decent sized reproducing bass you put the poor thing straight in the pan ! have you not looked around and seen the numbers of salmon and trout in the river systems is way down and why do you think? yes you guessed it,over fishing and greed. when there is none left you will be glad for the sport of carp fishing and not farm raised dumb trout .

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:18 pm

I got this one on a bare hook at Rock lake on the east side. I was on a bridge watching the spawning schools swim under me and dropped a treble hook next to them, what do you know one of the dumb suckers stopped and sucked it up. I ended up going 2/4 on 6lb test with a bass rod/reel. Fun to catch