Fish Appetite

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
iPodrodder
Commodore

Fish Appetite

Post by iPodrodder » Wed May 02, 2007 5:07 pm

Many of you know this already, but I'll put in here anyway. Trout are hungry for your bait in the summer months, and you can be not-so-delicate in your presentation, and still get fish. Also, you should let the fish take the bait (assuming it is powerbait or worms) before you set the hook. In the winter, the fish are curious. They will approach your bait because they are curious, and will not swallow it immediately. The first strike you get, set the hook. If you wait too long, the fish will lost interest and swim away. I'm not trying to be above other people, but setting the hook too late in the winter is a crucial mistake that I see too much.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Fish Appetite

Post by A9 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:55 pm

They are also hungry in the winter too. But not very much. Usually, they aren't as active in the summer or winter months as they are in spring/fall. They aren't really curious in the extreme temps, because the water temps really effect their metabolism, so they don't eat as much in the winter or summer months when the temps are really warm or really cold. In these months, they don't have a bunch of energy to use and so they won't just swim around out of curiousity. They will swim as little as possible to get food. So when you do get a hit, don't yank it right away. They need a chance to swallow the powerbait, which usually takes a few seconds...So then set the hook. Sometimes they mouth it and you need to try waiting for a long time or yank it right away, or show more hook, othertimes, they will just inhale the baits and you can set the hook right away.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

iPodrodder
Commodore

RE:Fish Appetite

Post by iPodrodder » Wed May 02, 2007 10:17 pm

I am only going by personal experience on my local (Pine and Beaver) lakes, and that is just what has held true for me. You don't have to agree.