Snake River/Lake Herbert G West Lyon's Ferry

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
smokum
Petty Officer

Snake River/Lake Herbert G West Lyon's Ferry

Post by smokum » Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 am

Will be going to Lyon's Ferry area in mid-June for Walleye, Channel Cat and smallmouth.Never been there before and I am looking fo ras much info/advice/help as can be had. It's known for large 'cats and lots of walleye.

Nice marina and docks with campground and restaurant as well. Probably not known by too many West-siders.

Anyone fished the area before?

Any help will me much appreciated and I'll post a report upon return.
Never let the TRUTH get in the way of a good fish story!!

BentRod
Admiral

RE:Snake River/Lake Herbert G West Lyon's Ferry

Post by BentRod » Mon May 18, 2009 11:16 am

Although I've driven through that area a number of times, I've never fished that far up the Snake before. However, I did grow up fishing the Snake, Columbia, and Yak. closer to the Tri-Cities. For the Channel Cats in that area, I've had the best luck on either chicken livers or just big'ol nightcrawlers. Rig'em on a large snell hook attached on a three way swivel with a weight on the other branch with about 2-5 foot of leader. Plop it in a deep hole at dark and wait. Make sure you have plenty of heavy line, cuz the big ones can run a few times. I always caught them on 10lb test and it was a blast. Lost a few due to broken line, but it was a challenge. Good times.

eustace
Lieutenant

RE:Snake River/Lake Herbert G West Lyon's Ferry

Post by eustace » Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 pm

OK as for the Walleye I'm not sure but I have caught them while fishing for the Cats. Go up the Palouse mouth untill you are in current and look for the old channel on depthfinder. Anchor just in the edge of the old channel cast out a cut bait on with 18 to 24'' of leader good strong barrel swivel no wieght. let it move around in the current as if it was swimming. Not letting it settle to the bottom. If you catch a Bullhead you are on the bottom. Don't believe that Channels are bottom fish the adult fish are preditors and down there they prefer to take other fish esp a injured one. One more thing put your pole in a holder, I am serious for some weired reason you will get alot more fish not holding your pole.
That muddy water is much warmer in there and untill the water in the main channels gets warmer thats where they will be and it should be hot fishing right now or any day. O yeah I am talking about the middle of the day fishing for cats.

How do I know this? A couple of buddies and I the first time we whent with a guide and we caught mostly adult fish using this method.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 18, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well its not called Catching!