Why is Lawrence Lake (Thurston) open year 'round???

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Fish Antics
Warrant Officer

Why is Lawrence Lake (Thurston) open year 'round???

Post by Fish Antics » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:39 pm

I guess I don't understand why Lawrence is open year 'round. It isn't listed in the regs under Westside Lakes - Special Rules (pg 70) . . . so it seems like it would be covered under statewide regular season closures . . ie lowland lakes which open in April. I don't doubt it's open, I just want to understand why.

The question comes from the posting of activity there.

Clarification????

Thanks

jens
Commodore

RE:Why is Lawrence Lake (Thurston) open year 'round???

Post by jens » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Copied off WDFW- but doesn't explain why it is open year round:

Lawrence Lake (330 acres): This lake seven miles southeast of Rainier provides primarily warmwater fishing for largemouth bass, perch and brown bullheads, with a slot limit on bass. Brown and rainbow trout should also provide good fishing. There is a state access with boat launch and two toilets. The lake is open to fishing all year.
"One more......."

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:00 am

I believe WDFW makes all those decisions based on sustainability of the fishery. Of course (almost) nothing is really sustainable without plants anymore. If I were you I would take the initiative and contact them and ask them, they are usually really nice folks. Then you can post back more information for all the WL.Com community!:dwarf:

Fish Antics
Warrant Officer

Post by Fish Antics » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks guys . . Toni straightened me out too . . . I'll see what WDFW has to say . . . meanwhile . . I can fish it :)

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Per the statewide general freshwater rules (page 36 of the 2008-2009 rule book), all lakes, ponds, and reservoirs are generally open year-round. The exceptions are those listed in the special rules.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Why would you want to close the lake during part of the year?