Circle hooks

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
natenez
Warrant Officer

Circle hooks

Post by natenez » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:24 pm

On one of the threads here (I can't find it now) it was recommended to use circle hooks for situations where setting the hook is hard.

Well I was at Joe's the other day and was looking at hooks. The circle hooks I saw didn't have much of a bend in them. Just the tip pointed slightly inward. And the smallest size was 4.

Is this the right thing? For trout fishing I would want to use a smaller hook, like size 8. Do they make circle hooks in that size? If so where is a place you would reocmmend getting them?

Thanks
Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:Circle hooks

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:33 pm

Just buy the red, orange and pink Gamas in the smaller size :-# and you will have plenty of fish on with the correct lure or bait for the waters you are pressing!:-$

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:20 am

I think Circle hooks are generally used to do less harm to the fish. They are often used for Catfish, Sturgeon or other large fish.
That is probably why they are not available everywhere in smaller sizes...

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:07 am

Hey guys
I've experimented with the circle hooks using small plastics on the Rufus Woods Tripps to see how the hookin was compaired to the typical styles hook. I hooked both trout and yellow perch.
I totally agree with Sweede on his choice of stickers as I also use them with total satisfaction. After watching an episode of infisherman where they were using the circle hook on smallies back east, I had to give them a try.
I forget the brand, but At Hooked on Toys in Wenatchee, I purchased some circle hooks in size #4, 6, and 8. It is a totally different technique, but I was impressed with the hook-ups. I had rigged them "Carolina" style behind a 1/16 oz bullet weight (18-24 in of leader) and was working them through the weeds back in warmer weather. When I would detect a hit I would drop rod tip and when fish would start to swim away I would let the fish apply the pressure and I would lift the rod tip when the line got tight, and fish on. I found if I "set the Hook" I would miss a hook-up occassionally. The theory is the hook design lets the hook slide up the gullet and hook in the corner of the fishes mouth when the line is pulled. I think they would be great on trout using bait. I was successuful with all the hook sizes used and I feel presentation is a deciding factor (not "The" factor), and still have them in my arsenal and enjoy the challenge of NOT reflex setting the hook. I've snelled a circle hook, put it in my palm then closed my hand pulling the hook out of my closed hand without the hook sticking me. the hook-up happens when the hook is pulled over the edge of the hand. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. That is the principle, and in my limited use of them They did work. Give them a try for the heck of it.
Let us know how you feel about them if you choose to use them.
good luck.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:37 am

natenez wrote:On one of the threads here (I can't find it now) it was recommended to use circle hooks for situations where setting the hook is hard.

Well I was at Joe's the other day and was looking at hooks. The circle hooks I saw didn't have much of a bend in them. Just the tip pointed slightly inward. And the smallest size was 4.

Is this the right thing? For trout fishing I would want to use a smaller hook, like size 8. Do they make circle hooks in that size? If so where is a place you would reocmmend getting them?

Thanks
blufin loui gives you about the best explanation I have seen in quite a while, so thanks loui.

You may need to get your small circles from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop. You have to look for the small sizes, but they are available and they do work.

Personally, I keep a few around, but because I seldom use bait, I don't use them often. They will work on lures, but I still prefer to use regular hooks when I "set the hook". But, for those that use bait, and want to return fish (read the trout bait rules carefully, I am not trying to circumvent the rules in Washington), then your catch is far more likely to survive.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:19 pm

One more thing to consider. Circle hooks work best on fish species that attack, grab, and turn away with the bait. Circles work the poorest on fish that nibble.
Life's short - fish hard!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:52 pm

I believe circle hooks minimize the hooks being set deep in the fish...I'm pretty sure they also hook fish in the corner of the mouth? Could be wrong....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

Post by SmokinAces » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:54 pm

A9 wrote:I believe circle hooks minimize the hooks being set deep in the fish...I'm pretty sure they also hook fish in the corner of the mouth? Could be wrong....
True Sam, I love circle hooks for halis. The nice thing is that you can just let the fish do the work and once he's hooked himself you are pretty much good to go!
Pressin' Fish On!