new reel. stopped working... HELP

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
trout assault sean
Petty Officer

new reel. stopped working... HELP

Post by trout assault sean » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 am

i bought a new reel, back in july. its a Shakespeare Dimension low profile baitcaster, and it randomly stopped working, like i will atempt to reel, and i will have to crank down on it, just so it spins. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! and before this, i would let go of the handle, and line would spool out. ANYONE HELP??!!!!:bounce:
SENIOR THIS YEAR AT GRANITE FALLS HIGH SCHOOL
Almost have my drivers lisence.
I would rather be fishin' than sittin' in school wishin i was fishin'.
<')}}}}><

RainbowHunter
Petty Officer

RE:new reel. stopped working... HELP

Post by RainbowHunter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15 am

Well not sure if it will help or not but i have an abu garcia baitcaster and if i dont have both the drag knob on the handle and the knob for the spool adjusted just right it will just free spool and let line out like crazy, also if adjusted to far the other way i have to really get on it to get it to move the spool.
If it aint broke, You aint trying hard enough!

http://countvladamier.spaces.live.com

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Check the drag as said before. I've had a Abu Garcia and Shamano the Abu Garcia drags would give out and the dumb thing would free spool for no reason. Water got into my Shamano and made a mess out of the bearings so I wasn't able to do much of anything.

Open the reel up and check. Might need to lubricate the silly thing. In the meantime I ask the following... To fish or not to fish that is the question?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:25 pm

trout assault sean wrote:i bought a new reel, back in july. its a Shakespeare Dimension low profile baitcaster, and it randomly stopped working, like i will atempt to reel, and i will have to crank down on it, just so it spins. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! and before this, i would let go of the handle, and line would spool out. ANYONE HELP??!!!!:bounce:
My gut instinct is that you should see if there is a warranty on the real, then return it.

It sounds like a bad bearing and/or bad drag disks, but one way or the other, lubricating the real that new is not necessary to make it work, just to prevent excessive wear.

If the warranty is off, you may need to send it in to get it repaired.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:51 am

RainbowHunter wrote:Well not sure if it will help or not but i have an abu garcia baitcaster and if i dont have both the drag knob on the handle and the knob for the spool adjusted just right it will just free spool and let line out like crazy, also if adjusted to far the other way i have to really get on it to get it to move the spool.
Try an new after market drag system in your abu. For a few years they the systems they used worked great till they got worn a bit then it feels like you have broken gears.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:36 am

Yes Matt speaking of reels#-o :-({|= about 3 plus months ago you got my 7000 high speed big game Gold:cheers: W:eye: :colors: here the Halibut did it go Russia Via dog sled team!lol
Send it back ASAP keep it short and sweet and ask you would like a new reel,updated product or yours replaced with the latest parts:farao:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:11 am

BTW I just took them in for repair after your guy's did what with them, for how long???? :-"
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

wmaxwell48
Warrant Officer

Post by wmaxwell48 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:03 am

Its January....you don't need them till April, come back after the Fools Day

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 pm

wmaxwell48 wrote:Its January....you don't need them till April, come back after the Fools Day
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: What rock are you living under? We fish all winter!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: