Using gamefish as bait?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Bigbass Dez
Admiral

RE:Using gamefish as bait?

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:57 am

I really like that fact that we can talk about these rules with other fisherman . A person really gets a chance to see how interpertation or options are different when it comes to reading and understanding the guidlines in which we all must follow .. I had know idea that some game fish depending on size can be used as bait . Good job guys for this topic , at least a few people including myself have learned something today ..BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:44 pm

So the Regs Read... "You may not possess or use live fish for game fish bait"

Is it legal to use live crawdads, frogs, and tad poles that are not listed as threatened or endangered for game fish bait?

And what about using smurfs?:brilsmurf
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:33 pm

smurfs are a good bait! i actually made a small smurf popper. i caught many sunfish with it untill i finally lost it in some cattails, of course this would be considered a lure, i would think that an actual smurf would squish like a blueberry.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:45 am

:brilsmurf You should patent you lure panfisher. :brilsmurf
I bet it would sell like hotcakes.
:brilsmurf :smurfin: :brilsmurf:bigsmurf: :brilsmurf :smurf::smurfin: :smurf::bigsmurf: :smurfin: :smurf:
I love smurfs.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:28 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote:Looks like I definitely need to head out and find a reg's book and a ruler. Any idea where to find the book? Is it safe to assume the varied regulations are posted on the bulletin board(s) near the boat launch/fishing areas or in the book? I don't want to be "that" guy who ends up causing intrusive enforcement from the WDFW... After years in the Navy it seems that it only takes one yahoo breaking enough rules to make it tougher for everyone else.
You can get the rules and regs book at just about every sporting good store. In fact I have never been to a sporting good store that didn't have them. A lot of the gas stations outside of the city that sell bait and tackle will have them as well, along with all the resorts. I wouldn't rely on signs at the lake for the rules and regs. The only lake I can think of that has the rules posted at the lake is dusty lake in the Quincy wildlife area

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:32 pm

Ok guys all smurfs aside.. Is it legle to use live cradads, frogs, and tadpoles for
bait and if so how would you rig them?

:brilsmurf :bigsmurf: :smurf: :smurfin:
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:17 pm

bigastrout wrote:Ok guys all smurfs aside... Is it legal to use live crawdads, frogs, and tadpoles for bait and if so how would you rig them?
I believe someone already stated it is so long as they are not on the endangered list.

The idea is to rig the bait so that it will a.) live as long as possible, and b.) move naturally. It has been so long since I have used frogs and crawfish as live bait. If I remember right, rig a frog from its belly (careful- its very soft and tears easily) and crawfish from the "neck" w/ the hook exiting from the top shell. I'm sure someone here could better describe it...

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:38 pm

the way i rigged frogs is with a sizable hook through the forward part of the chin up through the top of the snout, this lets them swim, dive, and they breath alright, i've caught several fish on just one frog and still caught fish after they expired. i,ve caught walleye, smmth bass, lrgmth bass, and pike, the frogs will migrate to the lakes and ponds for the winter hibernation and i,ve seen accidents happen because there would be thousands of them on the roads next to the lakes making for very slippery conditions with the squished ones. this also happens to be one of the best times to fish the shore areas where they go in. big bass and walleye fighten to get at them! the ones that get out deeper pile up in a big cluster and sleep untill spring. there are frog harness's that you can use but i don't care to use them, to much time taken to put it on. with craws i just put a hook through the mid area of its tail with a few split shots, or a jig will work depends on how and where you are fishing. they head for the nearest rocks so you need to keep them moving. <')//<

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:54 pm

along with the(dead) game fish, frogs, crawfish, mudpuppies are another good bait for bass, i've seen bass and pike take watersnakes, how about live mice? S )',//<

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:14 pm

thought i'd bring back this topic as there seems to be more interest in it.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:44 pm

With regards to whether or not live crawfish is legal to use as bait, under current rules it is legal. Just make sure that the crawfish in your possession meet the minimum size requirements specified in the regs booklet.

Under the new proposed rules for 2009, the use of live crawfish and other "aquatic species" would be illegal for gamefish bait. See proposal #1. If this rule is approved, it will go into effect starting April 1, 2009.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/rule_propo ... 009-10.pdf

One of the key words in the current rule and proposed rule is the use of live bait for "gamefish". "Gamefish" are most of the species found in freshwater.

Most of the species in saltwater, like bottomfish and salmon, are "foodfish" and so it is legal to use live fish to target them.

Also, the current prohibition is against the use of "live" fish for bait. And so parts of "dead" fish are 100% legal (unless its lamprey). So, for folks that say you can't use parts of dead gamefish for bait, they are wrong--steelhead eggs, perch eyes, perch meat, etc. are all parts of dead gamefish and have been used legally for bait for generations in WA.

RainbowHunter
Petty Officer

Post by RainbowHunter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:06 am

EastsideRedneck wrote:Looks like I definitely need to head out and find a reg's book and a ruler. Any idea where to find the book? Is it safe to assume the varied regulations are posted on the bulletin board(s) near the boat launch/fishing areas or in the book? I don't want to be "that" guy who ends up causing intrusive enforcement from the WDFW... After years in the Navy it seems that it only takes one yahoo breaking enough rules to make it tougher for everyone else.

You can also view the regs online with the following link or use the link to my page at the bottom then click on the regs book there and it will take you to the regs.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2008/2008sportregs.pdf
If it aint broke, You aint trying hard enough!

http://countvladamier.spaces.live.com

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:50 pm

I use to use Bullhead tails for Perch fishing .I got into it with a warden over it.He said it was illegal to use a bullhead to catch Perch or Bass.I said that he was wrong and needed to re-read the rules.He said no Gamefish.I went on further to say that I didnt think a Bullhead was a Gamefish.He didnt write me up but he did say that if I persisted in using a fish for bait hed write me up.I dont know if he was just having a bad day or what.I went on to ytell him I use Salmon for crab bait.He had no problem with that.He sure had a problem with me using bullhead though.He also told me that your not allowed to use Perch parts either.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Fish On!
Petty Officer

Post by Fish On! » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:46 pm

I can remember years ago that there was a rule that prohibited the use of game fish for bait. With all the emphasis on warm water species and interest now it evidently was changed. Weren't trout and salmonoids considered game fish and warm water species considered food fish? Are they all rolled together as one now? Guess I should pull out the regs and look, but I don't have a couple hours to kill right now.....:cheers:

I think the rule may have tied in with the wanton waste of game fish. There used to be a rule, or still is? That you couldn't waste game fish. Cutting up fish for bait was considered waste. It's all far too confusing if you ask me! :-&

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:08 pm

i recieved an answer from julie at the region 3 headquarters here in yakima that it is legal to use game fish as bait provided that it is dead and that you would count the gamefish in the catch limit if there is one.

panfisher
Captain

Re: Using gamefish as bait?

Post by panfisher » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Thought I'd bring up an old topic to go with the new one